Day 7: London- first day of study tour


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 17th 2008
Published: August 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 7: London (1st day of study tour)

In the morning we unfortunately had to check out of our lovely upgraded room and recheckin for a new room. As we were in line we saw the first of our students- Yannis had arrived. We quickly saw another student, Allison, who actually arrived in London the same time as Adam and I and later we learned that our rooms were next to each other but somehow we never ran into each other. In small groups the rest began to arrive. There was transportation that was supposed to pick them all up at the airport but the lady was, well how shall I say it…. Flakey… not quite the best at in her field, and for some reason she left the airport without 3 students and Stephanie. Luckily the ones that were left behind figured out how to get to the hotel. Once all the students had arrived we were still without Stephanie. We found a little pub down the street and had some lunch with a few of the students. The first of the pub foods…. As one may guess I could not care if I ever ate, looked at... or smelt pub food again… Lunch was fun with the students. Everyone was excited to be in London. We made it back to the hotel and finally found Stephanie! We finally were all there. The lady came back and gave us our tube passes and other papers and we took a hop on hop off bus tour through the city. Now… Adam and I have been in Europe for a week and are quite adjusted to the time difference and also had a great night’s sleep. The students on the other hand did not. It became quite funny on the bus to watch them fall in and out of sleep. It became a bit of a game with the students who were awake as they waited for someone to pass out so they could take a picture. The bus tour took us through Kennsignton, We saw Kennsington Palace, Kennsington Gardens. After the tour we had a group dinner at oh yes- another pub…. It was a fixed menu and Adam and Jory ended up eating the exact same thing they had for lunch... slightly undercooked roast beef... Luckily I spoke up and was able to get a vegetarian selection. Dinner was a good time. The students were starting to wake up a bit. We headed back to the hotel and everyone went separate ways for their evenings either out or in. Adam, Stephanie and I went to a pub and one thing we noticed in London was that as soon as Adam would leave our sides, Stephanie and I would get bomabared. So he went to the bathroom and he hadn’t even walked away and two rather drunk guys came over. When Adam came back the one guy then started to talking to Adam and they wouldn’t leave us. The guy was rather close and touchy with all of us and I didn’t really like it- it was strange- but I guess it’s their culture to be close and slap hands, high five, touch shoulders every five seconds- so we quickly finished that drink and left the drunks behind.



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb