Oxford (quite old)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 27th 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Round thingRound thingRound thing

This large building is very important, but I can't remember why. Possibly because it houses George the IV's slippers or something.
We rejoin the fray in Oxford, site of the oldest university in the universe. The purpose of the visit was to see our good friend Eesvan, who is there to study the post-Orwellian implications of jelly engravings in the 12th century. I could be wrong on that.

The first stop was the best milkshake shop in the world, where they take the guilty pleasure of your choice - Ferrero Rocher and Rolos, in our case - and whizz them into a milky brew. It's Chocotastic!
Punting followed - or rather more pragmatically, pedalling - the men (invariably it was the men who chose to punt) standing on the pole driven boats were struggling to get their crafts moving, while we smugly sped past, driven by our host's shapely legs. It's a lovely way to spend a sun-drenched morning.

Back on dry land, Eesvan was quite the tour guide - he regaled us with interesting facts about the buildings we visited, none of which I remember. Oh no, wait! He helpfully pointed out one of the stained glasses in Christ Church which features a lady scratching her bottom. I kid you not.

The university upstages Eton thoroughly by having
Sloping streetsSloping streetsSloping streets

I think this is the library.
'colleges', which seem to be 'halls of residence', fully equipped with their own sports facilities and chapels. That's right, their own chapels. We happily wandered around quads which contain types of grass no longer found anywhere but on that particular patch of green...

As it turns out, Eesvan is actually studying to be India's very own Denis DeNuto (only 'The Castle' fans need apply here) - apparently the practice of compulsory acquisitions is going full steam ahead over there, and our hero intends to stop this. "It's the wibe", as it were...

Upon our return to Eton, we caught up with my cuzzie and a friend, with whom we had a delightful game of croquet! Splendid. It's a surprisingly strategic sport!

Yesterday, London. We seem to excel at picking the most dreary days for our visits: it was cold and damp! Two main events were the National Portrait Gallery (who knew Bryan Adams had reinvented himself as a photographer? "I got my first steel Nikon...") and a play, the 39 steps, which was a slapstick version featuring 4 actors expertly swapping a dazzling plethora of roles. The Criterion was the venue.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Snakes guarding a weather vane. Snakes guarding a weather vane.
Snakes guarding a weather vane.

The snake charmer is inside...
Lovely bridgeLovely bridge
Lovely bridge

Note Eesvan trying to get into the picture
Some unfortunate ladSome unfortunate lad
Some unfortunate lad

Inexplicably, they took turns at throwing each other in. Much more practical to simply jump in together...


2nd June 2008

Took a punt
I was checking Matt and Jane's travel blog and took a punt that you might have one too. Perhaps picture of a woman scratching her rear end has the same significance as one engraving we saw on a town wall in Alsace. In the Middle Ages it signified that this was a place of refuge - if you were guilty of small crimes no one could touch you here. Or then again its significance could be much more base. I'm sure I have heard Alisha talk about Esvan who went to Oxford. Enjoyed your blog. Marg
3rd June 2008

Hi
Mum is quite right - I went to law school with Eesvan. He does look particularly dashing in your pictures. But then again, it could be the lens you're using..... Have a great trip!
30th July 2008

Eesvan
I never saw any lady scratching her bottom - I think I got the budget version of the Oxford tour! Very unhappy!

Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb