Week 43 - Hughesy and Crowded House


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
December 10th 2007
Published: April 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday 3rd December

Bought Kylie Minouge tickets. No, I haven't turned gay, but it should be a good show in July at the O2 Arena.


Wednesday 5th December

Tonight we had an appointment with one Mr Dave Hughes at the Shephard's Bush Walkabout (or the Shebu walkie if you're a local). The place was packed full of snakebite sculling Aussies (inc. Cam, Nat and a few other mates) when Hughesy peered through the curtain on stage. He was spinning out a bit, I think it might have been his first time in London as he was noticing the same differences and peculiarities as us when we were fresh off the boat. He also laid a few boots into Holden for not renewing their contract with him, the bastards! Nothing like a bit of Hughesy' dry humour to remind you of home.


Sunday 9th December

With a half a day to kill we ventured into town to the National Gallery, where we'd been before but only for a brief tour. This time we picked up the audio tour guide which allowed us to walk to the highlights of the gallery, type in the corresponding number and listen to some info about the painting. We spent a good few hours wandering around the huge joint, almost getting lost on occasion and saw DaVinci's, Monet's and Van Gogh's amongst others. The place itself is quite beautiful as well, not quite the Louvre but much better than the pad in Kilburn. A massive Christmas tree had been set up in Trafalgar Square, which is an annual gift from the Norwegian Government. Bloody nice of them!

Later that day we tubed out to Wembley Arena as we had tickets to see the great adopted Aussie band Crowded House. When we got there and saw all the people hovering about a building next to the Wembley Stadium I thought "Oh". It wasn't actually at the massive world famous Stadium where we'd seen Muse and Live Earth but the Arena. Two entirely different kettle of fish but both right next to each other (luckily for us!). It was still a nice venue though, and once inside the more intimate atmosphere (still seating ten or so thousand) we realised it was for the better. It was cold outside anyway!

We had good seats about ten rows from the stage and
Trafalgar SquareTrafalgar SquareTrafalgar Square

With a touch of Xmas
saw a few people jump up during one of the early songs and move to the front. This angered security who started herding them back to their seats. Well, this angered Nick Seymour who stopped playing and basically told them to bugger off and leave their fans alone. This prompted us to rush towards the stage as well, where we stood for the rest of the show about five metres from the guys. It was actually Nick's birthday as well, and he was treated him to a Happy Birthday sing-a-long and a big (what else) chocolate cake. The band had a new member, Matt Shorrod (who replaced Paul Hester on the drums after his suicide), who was loving the show, taking photos of the audience at the end (I think I was in one shot 😊.

As usual Neil Finn's voice was superb and the classic hits kept coming all night including "Don't Dream It's Over", "Something So Strong", "Better Be Home Soon", "Fall at Your Feet" and "Weather With You". Two encores ensured the crowd was left very satisfied and Em said it was the best concert she'd ever been too. Once we'd poured out of the Arena we joined the back of a massive line for a limited edition live CD of the night performance. Even though we had to wait about 20 minutes it was pretty impressive that they could record, burn and package so many CD's that quickly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



15th April 2008

Kylie Minogue tickets!?!? 3 words.... Fagetty Fag Fag :)
15th April 2008

I would have loved this concert too Emm
15th April 2008

Thats funny, you were asking me for a ticket last week before I told you they were sold out!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb