Damn dollar........


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
October 4th 2007
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We loved London but London did not love our checking account! When we were there it was almost exactly double. Ouch! However, despite the damn dollar we still managed to have a great time! It absolutely POURED during our first outing and being the ignorant idiots from Southern California that NEVER get rain, we had no umbrella. By the time we arrived at the Natural History museum we were both completely sopping wet. Everyone was looking at me funny but the hand dryer in the bathroom works wonders at drying hair and clothes!

The best thing about the Natural History museum, and several other museums in London, is that they are FREE! We thoroughly enjoyed the dinosaur exhibit and of course I loved the life size models of the blue and sperm whales. Don't worry AOP, the blue whale model has NOTHING on yours!

The Tower of London is REALLY cool. Beefeaters do the tours and they are great at it. What we didn't realize is that they are men (and woman as of THIS year) that have been in the military for at least 20 years. Along with that they have to have all sorts of medals and good conduct to be able to live in the Tower and do the tours. Who would have thunk that they would want to do tours? Of course they have all sorts of other cool duties like guarding the queen! One dude asked why they don't wear the outfit on the gin bottles during our tour...........

A walking tour of London was the BEST. It incorporated a boat ride as well and we learned SO much. For example, each time the London Eye goes around British Airways makes 10,000 pounds!

Of course we were going to see the Westminster Abby on a Sunday when it is closed for services. That didn't stop us though! We decided to attend a service! Neither of us had anything to wear though so we headed to the equivalent of Forever 21 to get some cheapies. Fifteen euros later Yuri had a polo shirt and I had some new pants! The service was quite nice!

It was a whirl wind tour but we had a great time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dinner on the floor!Dinner on the floor!
Dinner on the floor!

We had one 20 pound meal that was actually $40 and it was picnic lunch on the floor of the hotel for the rest of the evenings. Don't feel sorry for us, we drank A LOT of wine!!
Reading and reading and reading....Reading and reading and reading....
Reading and reading and reading....

Yuri is a total history nerd and will read EVERY SINGLE word in a musem if given the chance. In the British museum I had to give up and just watch him take it all in!
Now THAT is preserved!Now THAT is preserved!
Now THAT is preserved!

This mummy was in the British museum. What a neat museum but SO overwhelming. There was so much to see that we didn't know where to begin.


28th November 2007

Whirlwind
This entry was like a whirlwind. I wonder where you are now. How awesome that the museums are free. I would love to visit there one day.
29th November 2007

Very good
Hi. My name's Vianna. I'm Brazilian and I live in Rio de Janeiro. I see your blog and photos. They're very nice! I like them! I love English people, but I know a little about England. I'm studing English and I'd like to meet a new friend. Do you too?! So, please, you can me answer. Goodbye...

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb