Wales, Air and Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
November 16th 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wales
This was a short trip of four days. AS usual we hired a car which we picked up from Heathrow and drove out of London. We stayed in a cute old fashioned home on a farm in South Wales. The farm was large and had many animals and some fairly rabid looking dogs locked up in barns and trucks. I assume New South Wales was named after this area and in fact there were some similarities to the area south of Sydney. You can see for yourself what you think.

It was mostly for a relaxing holiday as everyone was quite exhausted from their hard and busy weeks lately. We spent a lot of the time playing games and reading but we did force the kids to visit a castle or two. We went to the local town to visit a castle and ruins and stroll along the river but it was cold and Chrsitine had a little asthma. The trip turned into visiting a cafe...not much more to say really.


Oxford.
This trip was actually a couple of weeks ago but I've been too busy to do these travel blogs lately. Oxford is another 'small town
South WalesSouth WalesSouth Wales

We chose this area beacuse it is on the English, Welsh border, close to Cardiff if we felt like a drive and right in the middle of the beautiful Brecon Beacons. (Nice big hills and stunning views)
feel' university town which is full of students and academic looking people. You can just feel all the intellectual energy and brain power as you walk along the streets. It is lively and kinda groovy. It is home to the oldest colleges in England and walking along the street, you cannot be unimpressed with the stunning architectural features of the buildings. All spires, gargoyles, cloisters, double vaulted courtyards, arches and flying butresses in that lovely yellow-ochre coloured stone. Oxford is much like Cambridge but more interesting (to us) because we visited Christchurch College (the oldest of the lot, founded in 1525) and saw some more Hogwarts (Harry Potter's school) movie sites. The dining hall and library are shot here and some of the corridors from The Philosophers Stone and The Chamber of Secrets.



Air.
Saw Air last night. A French pop electronica band. Great music in general although some songs are pretty dull. This is a good one from last night:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L6W5ZH-JwSg
Went to The Hammersmith Apollo which is just a 10 mins stroll (albeit in sub zero temperatures!). I had bought stalls standing tickets but found that all the ground area was seated. Seemed strange that
Tine in CwymduTine in CwymduTine in Cwymdu

This town, believe it or not is pronounced cumdee...go figure.
a very popular venue is all seated. Still, it's pretty awkward trying to bop to the difficult-to-dance-to ethereal tunes. Air wasn't bad live, but their music isn't the type that's flattered by live performance. Electronic in nature, it plays better coming out of the CD player. Much of the concert was programmed and consisted of the two of them hitting a few keys or strumming a few chords while all sorts of computers played pre-programmed loops. Lighting really made the show good. There were three people with them: guitarist, keyboards and drums (real drums).

Been cleaning and scrubbing the flat for end of tenancy, teaching, and preparing for stuff coming up. (Rome tomorrow). Today we woke up to minus 2 degree temperatures. It doesn't feel so cold as you would expect but my hands do start to get pretty numb and you need a good jacket. The sky is clear and blue but as usual the sun is somehow less...sunny.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Raglan CastleRaglan Castle
Raglan Castle

This is the best castle we have visited since Arundel in England earlier in the year. So eery and a little spooky. Memories haunt this place that it is very easy to imagine the life of the people who walked these cold, damp rooms and corridors. (Lauren actually got ill and had to leave!) It's a 15th century tudor style castle that has been surprisingly well preserved. Well worth a visit if you are ever in this area of Wales.
Lauren and ZTine in the Hogwarts Dining Room Lauren and ZTine in the Hogwarts Dining Room
Lauren and ZTine in the Hogwarts Dining Room

Christ Church College 16th Century. All set up for the lunch of the kids currently attending. We read the notices and noticed that they actually have to wear 'dress robes' for formal dinners.!


20th November 2007

clever girl
I wish you were here to help me send a musical birthday card to L auren for next Friday. My lap top is waiting for you to operate. Dad says we may have visited the castle on our bus trip. It certainly looks spooky. Looking forward to your next trip.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb