London calling...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 16th 2005
Published: September 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Why Hello!

Have finally made it to London. Such an overwhelming experience to set foot in a place you have been dreaming about for years! Jon informs me I'm allowed to be 'whelmed' now that I'm in Europe!(sorry, 10 things I hate about you reference). It was so relieving to be met at the airport by Tash and to have somewhere to stay, even though she has gone to Copenhagen for the weekend and left the 2 of us to explore on our own!

London was rather warm when we landed, but the following day the storm clouds rolled in and the drizzle came down. I bought an umbrella for £5 about 10 minutes after I got off the bus (a red double-decker one that is!). We've been trapesing around the city, seeing Picadilly and Trafalgar square, the theatre district (which has Ewan McGregor playing in Guys and Dolls at the mo - soooo going to see that!), Soho, and so much more. We went for Indian last night (the national food of the UK) and had a quiet lager ( I had a shandy) at a rather English pub that was playing Robbie Williams and the Beatles. I was in heaven! Today went to Westminster Abbey and saw all the tombs of the past kings and queens and politicians and poets - including Shakespeare. A very beautiful place, very still. We lit candles and said prayers for all your souls (you can thank me later) and also strolled to Buckingham Palace. There are such beautiful parks and buildings here in London and it really gives Sydney much more than a run for it s money (lucky we have the harbour).

We are slowly learning the ways of the town, grocery shopping, transport, etc and we have started to think about finding somewhere to live, but will worry about that more when we return from Europe. We are leaving for Paris on Tuesday and will writer more about the continent then. Have heard that the weather is warming at home (d'oh!), and I hope all is well.

God bless the queen.

Jude

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb