Little Venice and browsing Camden Markets


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 21st 2007
Published: July 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post



Camden Market

Camden

Our Summer Experience
Today the girls and I went for an adventure to North London. (Herve tired after a hard day and needing a rest) First stop was Royal Oaks tube stop (where we detoured to an excellent playground) and from there a short walk to Little Venice. Luckily we were just in time for "Jason's Trip" canal boat tour. It takes 45 minutes and cost us 17 pounds (one adult and two kids). A man stands up the back directing the boat and a woman talks through a mic giving you information about the canals, living on the canals and the canal boats. We passed some very expensive houses (20 million pounds!) and the London zoo, Lords Cricket ground and went through some very impressive tunnels.

Apparently in the old days, the boats were used for cargo and were pulled by a single horse. There are marks along the walls where the rope has made ridges. Because of this, there is a path along the side called the 'tow path'. You can walk along this all the way from Little Venice to Camden if you prefer a stroll rather than a boat trip. It was a very interesting experience and I would recommend the trip. No need to get a return as the boat arrives at Camden and there is Camden Lock tube station or countless buses to everywhere.

Upon docking, we were suddenly (after the peace and quiet of the canals) assaulted by the noise, energy and buzz of Camden Lock Markets. They have loads of groovy clothes ad jewelery shops, avant guard fashion and alternative wares as well as music and great food from all over the world. There are so many people everywhere but we managed to stick together and really enjoyed the excitement. We bought some bracelets and scarves and ate Turkish food and crepes.

It rained (poured) twice today but we managed to get under shelter both times and it didn't affect the day at all.

Bus 27 brought us right back to our home, exhausted.

Photos say it all better as usual.

It has rained practically all Summer here. Today it poured twice. Yesterday, most of the stores where I was (Kensington High Street) were forced to closed due to flooding. I took shelter in Marks and Spenser's store and there were buckets all over the shop to collect the downpour. It worries me.

The UK in general is experiencing severe flooding. The world/ weather has gone crazy be it England or Australia. I cannot believe that we still continue on with our own little lives in ignorance and I feel absurd just going on as usual. I heard of plagues in China too. This is way too freaky and I hope we can get our act together for our children and (hopefully) grand children before it is too late.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



24th July 2007

jasons canal boat ride
does the canal boat stop at the zoo for you to get off and visit the zoo?
26th July 2007

Zoo stop
No, Jason's Trip boat is not allowed to stop at the zoo. Apparently some canal boats are, I'm not sure which, you'll have to inquire.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb