Strawberries and Cream!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 3rd 2007
Published: July 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm back in Dublin after a very hectic weekend in the wonderful (yet wet and smoggy) London! Apparently I chose a great weekend to go, with a whole bunch of attempted car bombings (i was told that one was actually in Piccadilly, which is where we were staying, but i don't know if that's right), but we were too busy to read many newspapers or watch the telly to find out. Our weekend started really early on Friday morning with a 5am start, but by the time we arrived at our hostel in Piccadilly, it was about 2pm, with most of the day gone 😞 The first thing we did was hightail it to Wimbledon, cos I was not leaving London until I ate some strawberries and cream and bought some overpriced tennis souvenirs! We were increibly lucky, cos even though we had to stand in a queue for 2 1/2 hours, it didn't rain! Very lucky indeed! Once we were finally inside (Melissa had her padlock confiscated by security along the way; apparently they're prohibited at Wimbledon, possibly in case you padlock yourself to a player or something) we saw Richard Gasquet's match against some guy with a name like Vaseline, and some doubles and less well-known players. It was still great, though! We got our strawberries, and they were yummy, and I bought my obscenely over-priced t-shirt. Overall, a really fun afternoon!

On Saturday, we had a really stressful day trying to see a matinee performance of "Wicked", which is about the witches of Oz and how one became known as "good" and the other as "wicked". The man at the ticket box gave us a map and showed us the Apollo theatre on it, which was just around the corner from our hostel, and then we went to the Camden Market for the morning (while it poured with rain- not much fun!). We went back to our hostel for lunch, and we didn't bother leaving much time to get to the theatre becasue it was so close (literally around the corner), and rocked up at about 2.10pm for a 2.30 show- only to find out that our theatre was actually the Apollo VICTORIA, which was about 3 suburbs away! We grabbed the first cab we saw, but all of the roads were closed for the Gay Pride Parade! It was awful! I was so looking forward to Wicked cos Lizzie had raved about it so much, and i was stuck in a stupid black taxi in a grid lock of traffic while half-naked men paraded past in feathers and rainbows! Not happy Jan! Anyway, we jumped out at Charing Cross tube station, and ran for the tube. Luckily, we were only 15 minutes late and they still let us, so we only missed about the first 10 minutes. Lizzie, I'm gonna have to get you to tell me what happened in the first 10 minutes, please! Even without them, it was still brilliant, and I think i will be going to see it again if it ever comes to Australia!

Sunday was spent seeing the sights, eg Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, etc. It poured with rain again (that's the story of this entire holiday so far!) but we managed a peek of blue sky while we were at Trafalger Square- we quickly took as many photos as we could!

Needless to say, I was exhausted by the time I arrived back Sunday night, but luckily theatre was cancelled on Monday because a whole bunch of new staff started work (though we didn't find this out until we had already arrived- bummer! We could have had a sleep in or an extra day in London!). The rest of the week so far has been pretty regular- cute Irish kiddies with unpronoucable names needing surgery of some sort. Most of them are pretty routine, hernias and the like, but occasionally we get to see a pretty rare one, which is interesting.

I hope everyone is well and not studying or working too hard! I'd better go cos there is a really icky smell in this internet cafe- i need some fresh air!

Bye for now!
Love, Rikki

Advertisement



10th July 2007

Hi Rikki!! Love hearing about ur escapades...keep the blogs rolling! It is making me wish I was back in London town but I can't believe the weather you guys are getting in their supposed 'summer' season!! If you get a chance, go and see Billy Elliott...it's awesome!! You'll love all the kid actors too...they are so fit! I'm so jealous that you got to go to Wimbledon...I was a little bleary-eyed after staying up to watch Federer beat Nadal the other night. Oh well...cest la vie. Hope you're well lotsaluv xx

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb