Shakespear's Globe Theatre


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 23rd 2007
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last night I went into London with my Aunt Linda, my cousin Adam and some of Linda's friends. We went to see the play 'In Extremis' at Shakespear's Globe Theatre. It's the story of Abalard and Heloise which is kind of like Romeo and Juliet. The performance was great and so was the weather, which was good considering the globe doesn't have a roof 😊 Although it wasn't the original Globe theatre, it was still amazing to see plays performed in a theatre that was designed the same time they were written.

In the intermission I was talking to one of the stewards that worked there. He said that when he was nine years old and taught about Shakespeare in school and as an assignment he built a model of the Globe from paper and sticks. He went on to become a builder and in 1946 when Sam Wanamaker (an American director who wanted the Globe to be rebuilt in honor of Shakespeare) finally got funding to have the Globe rebuilt, the construction company he worked for got the contract. The Globe wasn't finished until 1996, so he was retired by then, but now he works there as a volunteer. It was great to hear the story of it from someone who is so passionate about it and has had something to do with it throughout his life.

We drove home through Camden, which looks like it would be lots of fun. We ended up getting fish and chips there at about 1am. The fish and chip shop had two rooms, one looked like any normal take away shop and the back room was a rave, with about 60 people, a Dj and UV lights everywhere... very strange. I was definitely ready for bed by the time I got home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb