Christmas Trip to London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
December 23rd 2006
Published: December 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London


Well, at the suggestion of many, including my kids, I've decided to do the right thing and put my ramblings in a travel blog. Hope you find this more useful than my filling your emailer with all those messages and photos. Feel free to respond within this blog without giving away any personally identifying information and others can benefit from your comments. Well here goes.

Day 16, 1-1-2007, Monday, LAST DAY



Well, as anticipated, we lugged our luggage down the street and got on the bus to Victoria Station. The bus driver, though, refused to to anywhere until I gave him more than a pound for each of us. It seems the fare went up to a pound and a half. Luckily, I had the coins. I guess I didn't look trustworthy when I told him that I'd return with the money after I got the luggage out of the way. I guess the expectation was to first give him more money and then move the luggage. Anyway, we made it to the train to Gatwick. As it was a 40 minute ride, I got comfortable, taking off my coat and throwing it up on the overhead bin. At the stop prior to Gatwick, we were delayed for some technical reason and the staff on the speakers apologized for the delay. When we arrived at Gatwick, we all got off the train when my kids asked me about my jacket. As they held open the door, I went back into the coach, retrieved it from the overhead bin, and exited the train, all the while hearing the staff yell on the speaker to clear the doors. I'm sure that my delay added to the prior delay was a great concern to them. More pressure! Well, we made it onto the plane and back home without further incident. It was a great vacation and a great opportunity. I learned that it was important not to talk too loudly, not that I always succeeded. Another lesson I was supposed to learn, according to my kids, is to not worry about how much things cost. Thanks to all for a valuable experience.

Day 15, 12-31-2006, Sunday



Well, the day before New Years and the last day for sightseeing. First though, hang out at the flat with Steve as he prepares to leave for New York where he'll spend the night with friends before he gets on another flight back home to arrive at the airport about an hour earlier than us, when we leave tomorrow. We all left the flat at noon, Steve to go to the airport and the rest of us to go to the "Office" shoe store on Kings Row, Chelsea, to return a pair of shoes that Maggie found to be unsuitable. Rather than just getting the money back, which would have been nice, she was given a credit. So, now we were on a mission to find a suitable pair of shoes. I was content as I discovered a great Lebanese Restaurant down the road that had a couple of huge gyros going next to the window. After salivating for a few minutes, I couldn't resist and had a delicious lamb gyro. I'll post the picture of the 2 huge gyros. We next went to Victoria Station to buy our train tickets for tomorrows trip to London's Gatwick Airport. Although it was good to know how inexpensive it would be, in contrast to our car hire from the airport when we arrived, we were somewhat apprehensive of lugging our luggage on the streets and on
Covent GardenCovent GardenCovent Garden

Check out the new hat
public transportation. We stressed about having enough cash for the day and for tomorrow. After getting some money from the bank machine at Victoria Station, we walked to Buckingham Palace and viewed the huge royal residence from the outside as it was out of season for tours. We opted not to tour the Queen's Gallery. Instead, we were on a mission to use the Office coupon. So, off we went to find the other Office shoe stores in the vicinity. Along the way, we quickly checked out the famous upscale Fortnum and Mason Department store which was similar to Harrods but on a smaller scale. We also stopped by Mango, the large women's apparel shop and 2 more Office shoe stores. So, as you can see, shopping is right up there on the sightseeing priority list. We got out of the rain and had dinner at a nice little pub near Carnaby Street. After going to Oxford Street again, I wanted to take the bus back to the flat, rather than the tube. After some confusion a bus ride, tube transfer, another bus ride, and a wait in the rain at Piccadilly Circus, we got on the right bus to the flat. We spent the evening making preparations to leave tomorrow. At midnight, all but Molly, watched a tiny portion of the fireworks from our flat's balcony as they were mostly obscured by the buildings. The explosions and yelling were cool. The local news showed what we missed. Tomorrow, we fly home.

Day 14, 12-30-2006, Saturday



Molly, Stephen, and I started the day at St. Paul’s Cathedral, taking the audio tour, and climbing the very many steps to the dome. Steve and I went to the very top. What a physically challenging climb, what an awesome view, and luckily, on a great clear and sunny day. Steve and Molly then went to meet the girls at Borough Market while I headed to Greenwich on the Tube and DLR (Docklands Light Railway). The DLR was kind of cool in that you were above ground going around some old and new developments, some on marinas on the Thames. As I was now alone, there was no one to object to my getting a McDonald’s McFlurry—with an orange chocolate sauce—yum, yum! Greenwich is a pretty little area with the Queen’s House, Old Royal Navy College, Maritime Museum, and the crowning glory of the Royal Observatory where the Prime Meridian was established. The day started out gloriously sunny and clear and became cloudy and very rainy. The change in weather, though, did not dampen my spirits as I eagerly hiked up the hill to the observatory and straddled the Prime Meridian and enjoyed the green laser beam that shot out into the rainy sky. I concluded my day with some Vietnamese food and a walk through the outdoor, but sheltered market, enjoying a cup of nice hot mulled juice. When I rejoined the family, they related how they took a circuitous route to Hampsted Heath, and then went to Kensington Palace where they saw some of Lady Diana’s beautiful dresses.

Day 13, 12-29-2006, Friday



This morning, at Steve’s suggestion, we stood in a slow moving line, in the rain, to see Sir John Soane’s Museum/House. We made a little igloo with our 5 umbrellas. It was real cozy. We stayed warm by exhaling and trapping the warm air with our umbrellas—or so we thought. It was quite a bonding experience. When we were finally admitted to this amazing home/museum, we really were impressed. This guy was an architectural genius and had some interesting design elements in the home, using lots of windows and mirrors. His home was crammed, and I do mean crammed, to the rafters and beyond with all types of archeological artifacts, including a huge Egyptian sarcophagus that was hoisted into his basement. He outbid the British Museum to get this incredible thing. After a nice lunch at Ask, where we had our respective pasta dishes, we visited the enormous V&A Museum. We split up and went our separate ways, visiting a wide variety of styles and everything imaginable that would be considered decorative or artistic. I particularly enjoyed the plaster cast area of famous statues, such as Michelangelo’s David. There was a silver gallery that was so large; you actually could not see the end of it. The silver gallery included a huge silver punch bowl—now, that would be quite a party. Being a child of the 60’s, I also enjoyed the exhibit on 60’s fashions. We really covered a lot of ground in this museum.


Day 12, 12-28-2006, Thursday



Megabus to Oxford day! After some running around and being misdirected, paid more than we should for tickets to Oxford. The scenery of the rolling hillside with sheep on it was cool. We arrived in time for a quick sandwich and to tour the area. We walked around and toured Christ Church College, where some scenes of the Harry Potter films were set. A most impressive campus. The Great Hall was great indeed. The quadrangle was fairly huge and the chapel had some brilliantly colorful stained glass windows. We didn't quite get to do all we planned, arriving, again, 5 minutes late to the tour that overlooked the city, but went on the second choice overview and got a glimpse around. After some stumbling about, we had a lovely Lebanese family-style "Christmas Dinner" at Al-Salam. My kids again chastised me for raising my voice when I yelled, "Thank you." to the local bus driver for not driving off and leaving us. I was wondering why everyone seemed to be looking at me as I boarded. I really have to work on this!

Day 11, 12-27-2006, Wednesday



Tower of London day! I woke up excited. Looking forward to an early start to see the Tower of London. Rick Steves recommended an early start to avoid the long ticket lines and I was up to the task. We joined the first tour of the day and had the chief raven keeper Beefeater as our guide. He was most informative, funny, and otherwise entertaining. He gently heckled the audience, mostly consisting of Americans. He referred to Texas as one of Britain's smaller former colonies. He went on and on about beheadings, drawn and quartering and other gruesome descriptions and it was fun to see Molly and Ellen cringe. The chapel on the grounds is nice, as have most of the churches we've seen. The crown jewels were impressive. I was particularly interested in the First Star of Africa diamond, the Cullinan I--the largest top-quality cut diamond in the world--weighing in at 530.2 carats. This diamond is in the Sovereign's Sceptre. To me, bigger is better when you talk about diamonds. After lunch at Eats, another descriptively named sandwich shop, we went to the Abbey Road crosswalk, just to say we did and knowing that it was a non-descript crossing, and took the requisite pictures. Then Maggie and I went on to the Freud Museum, while Steve and the rest of the gals went to the British Tate Museum. After Freud, Maggie went back to the
Tate Modern1Tate Modern1Tate Modern1

I'm sliding
flat while I went to a late night session at the National Gallery and got my fill of what sections were open, including the Impressionists. After a really long day, looked forward to putting my feet up.

Day 10, 12-26-2006, Tuesday--BOXING DAY



Well, we thought that today, we'd have a relaxing day, as we believed that many stores and attractions would be closed. Were we wrong! We discovered that Westminster Abbey would be open so ambled on over to the Big Ben, but not until the rest of the family got their coffee fix at the Cafe Nero while I made a frantic search for a rest room. After checking out one side of the block around the Underground station, I thankfully found a pub across the street on the other side of the block. I felt like I was sneaking into a movie theater getting by all the staff while they were occupied and crossing through the entire pub before climbing the stairs down another flight. Anyway, this was a common crisis for us. The search for a "toilet," they don't say rest rooms or bathrooms here. I guess "toilet" is more descriptive of what we really need. Well, Westminister Abbey was really crowded, it seems the word was out that this was one of the sites that was open. We tripped over other loud American tourists--oh, non-Americans are fairly quiet and polite in comparison. My kids constantly remind me to lower my voice volume. Anyway, back to the Abbey. It was amazing how many huge burial memorials they shoved into that place, many going back centuries. The Poet's Corner and Nave were free of the crowd which we were previously passing through narrow doorways and corridors. It was nice to see all the memorials, though. As I'm writing this unvarnished log, I'm aware of the British reserve, where they seem to reluctantly criticize anyone. Well, as you can tell, I'm not British. After the Abbey, we walked by the well-guarded 10 Downing Street up, past the Horse Guards, and up to Trafalgar Square. We then made our way to a very nice Indian Restaurant, the Masala Zone. We had a wide variety of food, all great and tasty, and reasonably priced, just like the review books said! After dinner, Maggie's nose sniffed out another shopping district, and we ended up on the famous Carnaby Street. Also, for the first time since being here, it was a little damp with some sprinkles, but not for too long. We really have been fortunate with the weather. Steve and Molly split off to watch the Arsenal "football" game in a pub and see where Steve lived and I got to continue shopping with Maggie and Ellen. I got to tell you. I felt I was at an after Christmas sale where everything was half-off. Well, we were. Maggie and Ellen very much enjoyed the store, Mango. I didn't and retreated to one of the few couches as they mingled with the throngs. From Piccadilly Circus, we walked past the famous Fortnum and Mason Department store, which thankfully was closed, and up New Bond Street with all the famous designer stores, back to crowded Oxford Street. I wanted a McDonald's McFlurry, but my kids talked me out of it, reminding me that we were going to stop for groceries on the way home. Well, remember what I said about Boxing Day being a holiday, well the grocery store we were going to stop at was closed. What an exhausting day, this turned out to be.

Day 9, 12-25-2006, Monday--MERRY

CHRISTMAS!

What a nice, relaxing day. Molly and I went to the service at the church where they've buried the American traitor Benedict Arnold and have a memorial window for him. It was a low-key event, not crowded, and nicely done. After we opened our presents, Steve and I took a long hike to Hyde Park and Molly and Ellen took a shorter hike to Battersea Park. I was on a quest to see the Peter Pan statue. I'm sure that it has some sort of psychological meaning but it escapes me right now. We were greated when we returned with a sumptious lamb dinner followed with some Christmas pudding, which was "interesting." I was surprised at the many different textures and flavors in this dessert. I guess my palate is not sophisticated enough to enjoy it. We are, however, greatly enjoying the shortbread cookies and English hot chocolate drinks. My family is claiming that I'm eating more than my fair share of shortbread cookies, but I haven't been counting, so can't refute their claim.

Day 8, 12-24-2006, Sunday



Today, I was planning to go to Greenwich, as I read that Sunday's was a good day to
Thames RiverThames RiverThames River

The family's first day
go. Steve, though, was on the ball and checked to see that the museums would be open on the holiday and indeed found out that they would be closed. So, now, to think of an alternative. Steve, being the resourceful star of the day, suggested that we go to Somerset House where those that wanted to could go ice skating and also see the exhibits there. We did and it was great. The ice ring was large and they restricted the numbers of people so it was not such as zoo. Steve and Ellen opted to skate, Maggie to relax and read, and a mix of us to see the exhibits. We were surprised at the number and quality of the Impressionists' work at the Courtauld Institute of Art Gallery. Molly and I also took in the Triumph of Eros exhibit in the Hermitage Rooms. We took a stroll to the nearby Temple Church where part of the Da Vinci Code was set, the church with the knights buryied in the floor of the church. It was kind of interesting, but my imagination and the movie seemed much more dramatic. Next, we made our way to the St. Paul Cathedral, thinking that we left in plenty of time to make it to the 4:00 p.m. service. Alas, there were a great number of others who had the same idea. Needless to say, we were unsuccessful in making it in. We regrouped to consider our options and decided to try at another church. We decided to go back to St. Martin-in-the-Fields for their 6:30 p.m. service. As we were early, we again decended to the crypt and had some scones, etc. I, especially, enjoyed my chocolate mousse. As the worker there said that we'd have no problem getting in if we went into the church at 5:45 p.m., we were not concerned. Well, wrong again! When ambled up to the church at 5:30 p.m. it was packed, but we were able to find a pew in the balcony. We were lucky. Of course, the choir and acoustics were superb and it was a great experience. On the way back to the flat, we were treated again to a superb operatic voice outside the tube station. What a great city!

Day 7, 12-23-2006, Saturday



Well, today, was the day for us to go our separate ways. Molly and I went to Portobello Road Market and Harrods, Stephen and Ellen went to Camden Lock Market, and Maggie went to the British Library and Oxford shops. The Portobello Road Market was a very long street full of vendors selling antiques, food and groceries, flea market stuff, clothes, and just about anything else you can imagine--including antique weapons and Russian Army caps. We enjoyed snacking and walking among the throngs. Now, as for Harrods, what a contrast! Although it too had the throngs, it was luxury all the way. What surprised me was that they sell Krispy Kreme Donuts, a dozen for 12.50 pounds, that's around $25--FOR A DOZEN DONUTS! How nuts is that? And, there was a long line of people waiting to buy them. Anyway, the setting and delights appeared to be top notch, as were the prices. As you can see from the pictures, the decor was a bit unusual with this Egyptian and kind of a country French theme. What a temple of consumerism. The security was impressive. I felt I was in a casino with all the cameras and guards. I guess that's good with the current level of world tension.

Day 6, 12-22-2006, Friday



Didn't get an early start today, either, but we didn't care much about that. Molly, Stephen, and I went back to the National Gallery, and got to enjoy Stephen's knowledge from his recent Art History class. We met the girls for lunch at the Pizza Express, one of Stephen's favorite British chains. I enjoyed a diavolo pizza which was loaded with jalepenios and meat, Steve had the pepperoni and the girls had vegeterian pizzas. I really get into the food and hope you can savor the taste as well. Well, we then left for Kensington Palace. We passed by the Natural History museum which was pretty impressive with the adjoining Christmas craft fair and skating ring, walked past the V&A museum, saw the statues of Albert and Victoria and the Prince Albert Hall. It remained cold and foggy, but still a nice walk through the Kensington Gardens. Due to my dilly dallying, at least that's what the family told me; we were 5 minutes too late for the final tour of Kensington Palace. Again, the family was pretty gracious for my offense. I think they were distracted by us heading up to Queensway where the girls got to buy some pasminas, a kind of scarf from India, and have some Belgium waffles loaded with chocolate. I "reluctantly" joined in with 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream. Of course, I did this to be polite, so they didn't have to eat alone. After some discussion about the proper course to take, we spent the rest of the evening at the Tate Modern museum via St. Paul's Catherdral and the Millenium Bridge. After a little snack at the museum, it seems that shopping and eating is an intregal part of our vacations, we split up and enjoyed the museum. One of my favorite exhibits was a series of about 6 automatically sliding mirrored doors that you walked through along a fairly long corridor, where one set opens as the sets you just went through closed. A weird experience. After some discussion as to which was the best way to get home (I was not involved in that conversation), we arrived home, safe and sound with no more detours.

Day 5, 12-21-2006, Thursday



Well, we woke up kind of late today, seems that we took the advice of family and friends who said that the kids and I looked tired. Well, Molly, Stephen, Ellen, and I went for an introductory tour of the National Gallery and then met up with Maggie for lunch at the crypt basement cafe at St. Martin's in the Field. Man was that crowded. The food though was awesome, especially for the price--and lots of it. Stephen and I particularly enjoyed our roast turkey dinner which also included a sausage with bacon wrapped around it, shredded white cabbage, potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Those Brits really like their sausages, they seem to be with everything, except I haven't seen them with ice cream, yet. OK, back to the lunch, for dessert, I enjoyed an apple pie that was almost an apple cake, with clotted cream--boy did that taste good. I should mention what the others had, but what they ate didn't seem as good as what I had. Also, I seem to have a greater emotional reaction to my dining choices. After lunch, the family decided to go to Covent Garden to shop some more. Stephen and I broke away to see if the Transport Museum was open, but it wasn't--it was closed for repairs. We wandered around and then decided to visit the Theater Museum which surprised us with the amount of and comprehensiveness of the exhibits. We spent some time there before emerging back to Covent Garden where Stephen acquired a nice tweedy like fedora and we enjoyed some more of those great West Cornwall Pasties. This time I had a delicious Lamb and mint one and Steve had a bacon and cheese. I'm now hooked on these delicious and probably fattening delights. I'm going to have to see if I can get them back home. Well, back to the narrative. We then went into a delightful tea shop and were able to sample all manner of teas--including hot mulled wine and cold lemon lime. A nice refreshment to our pasties. What was funny to us, but predictable, with Molly's love of tea, is that she came into the tea shop while we were there and we then got together with the girls and began looking for a warm spot. We got distracted by a real mulled wine vendor and then went in search of a pub. We ended up at the Angel and Crown and sat upstairs overlooking a beautiful steet scene. However, the atmosphere was not completely British as we were surrounded by other American tourists just like us--so much for stepping outside of our cultural surroundings. Well, after a little snack of fried mushrooms which the others seemed to enjoy and garlic bread which I liked; we went for an introductory tour of the Portrait Gallery and a walk along the theater district. We decided that the kids would see AVENUE Q, which the kids thoroughly enjoyed; while Molly and I saw ROCK AND ROLL which was an intellectually dense play by Tom Stoddard with great Pink Floyd and other rock music during the interludes. Needless to say, we had a long day and were looking forward to a quick trip home. I regret to say that I was mistaken when I assured my family that my bus choice would take us home. It did not, when we arrived at the end of the line, we had to get on another bus and double back to where we could get off and walk a somewhat longer distance to get home. I must say that my family were quite kind in not ribbing me too much for my mistake.

Day 4, 12-20-06, Wednesday



Thank you all for your comments, encouragement, and suggestions. I have attached some photos, and a couple, well actually one, with me in them, so beware, you have been warned. I know that the following is a long story, so please bear with me. I just felt I should remember some of my failings, so that I can improve, in time.

Well, today, or should I say yesterday, since I'm up again at 1 a.m.? Anyway, back to the narrative. On Wednesday, Day 4, we got on the bus, transferred to the tube, took one train and then transferred to another train which I almost missed as the men's room was 2 tracks over. Anyway, no problem, we successfully ended up in Windsor in time to see the changing of the guard procession outside the castle. It would have been nicer to see the ceremony inside the castle, but we were not there early enough to buy the tickets, clear security, and get in. Now, comes the embarrassing part for me. Being the gentleman that I try to be at times, I went last through security. My family was ahead of me getting their audio guides, having successfully cleared security. So, I take off my backpack and my camera, put them on the conveyer belt and walk through the metal detector. Damn, I set it off. I then remember with the helpful urging of the security guy, to empty my pockets of metal. I do, and walk through again. I set it off again. I'm baffled as to why that is. I pat myself down, just like I was professionally trained with the Bureau of Prisons, and discover that I have my fanny pack on which has extra batteries in it. Now, I'm confident that I will make it through, all the while being concerned with my family being ahead of me. I set it off again. Well, I figure that I again did not pat myself down well enough, so I do it again and discover that I left my tiny MP3 player in the jacket. I take off my jacket and voila, clear security. So, you see, all that BOP training was lost on me. Here I retire and lose those valuable skills.

On a more interesting note, we toured Windsor Castle as I said on this cold and foggy day, so were unable to appreciate all the spectacular views that they referenced in the tour.
Harrods8Harrods8Harrods8

Just walking by on Christmas
What an irony! On a more useful note, the castle was absolutely fabulous! The opulence, taste, tradition, and history were incomparable. First being an old castle was cool, having immaculate grounds that included a little stream and what spectacular views we could see were breathtaking. We were fortunate to see the interiors--the state apartments and St. George's Chapel--that are sometimes closed--but no pictures are permitted of the interiors. The rooms that deal with the Knights of the Garter were particularly impressive. Entering the main hall with all the ancient armament was awe-inspiring. I suggest that you view the website for Windsor Castle for a sampling of the interiors at: http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=34

Well, back to the narrative. We arranged to meet our kids at the exit at 1 p.m. to eat lunch in town. Molly and I kind of freaked out when we couldn't find them. After getting our wrist bands for re-entry and dropping off our audio guides, relaying our information to the audio guide people; we exited the castle and ran into our daughter, Maggie, waiting outside the gate. Well, that was good, however, the other 2 kids were still missing. When I thought that I would go back in and double back, looking for them, Maggie told me that once you exit, they won't let you back in and that you would have to clear security, again. Well, after all I've been through with security, I was not too keen on going through that again, and it wouldn't be fast--although with practice, I bet I'll get better. In any event, as we were trying to figure out what to do, they finally came out the exit and we went to lunch. Stephen and I had the English breakfast, at his suggestion. Well, what can I say about the famous English breakfast? Let me try to be charitable and positive, it was ok; however, I don't like mushrooms or dried blood. As for baked beans with a watery fried egg next to them, that just seems weird. The bacon and sausage were good, though. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like my omelets with feta or some other cheese and salsa. Sooooo, enough English breakfast for me.

Well, after lunch, the kids decided to skip the rest of Windsor Castle and go shopping in town. After we walked out of the restaurant, I did my customary pat down seeing that I had everything and noticed that I was missing my keys, 40 pounds in a money clip, my pens, and my change. But, have no fear, as I immediately figured out where they were. As Molly and I were planning to return to Windsor Castle to finish the tour, no problem, I will pick them up from security. Well, I went in, walked up to the security lady at the security counter and she asked me what I was missing, after stumbling for a while, I was able to tell her and she said that they just sent the items to the exit gate and had to send someone to get the items. To make a long story short, I was re-united with my items and the security folks got to know me even better.

Molly and I completed the audio guide tour, successfully reunited with the kids, and I bought and enjoyed a Cornish pasty filled with steak and Stilton cheese (which is a very strong blue cheese made with raw milk, I believe). We got on the trains and underground and bus during rush hour which is not pleasant, got some groceries, and came home to relax and recover. What an eventful but ultimately successful day, especially for me. I wonder what we'll do tomorrow.

Day 3, 12-19-06, Tuesday



Well, I indeed got very little sleep last night. When the family got into gear, we went to Oxford Street and then to Regent's Park where we sat out in the cold and damp and had our bag lunch that we prepared at the flat that morning. Next, we went to the Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221B Baker Street. I felt that it was a rip-off, but my family enjoyed it. Then we went to the British Museum. As Maggie has already been, she went to the Foundling Museum, instead, which she found to be a good experience for her. Now, as for the British Museum, I can not tell you how impressed I was with what I saw of their collection. Being of Greek decent, the Elgin marbles, taken from the Parthenon were amazing in the number and size of the collection and the artistry back in those days. It's amazing that the mighty British Empire plundered from their conquered nations--indeed, to the victor go the spoils. Even so, it's wonderful that the British Museum has, keeps, take care of, and shows their booty to us. We then ate dinner at our first pub--right across the street from the British Museum, called the Museum Tavern. It was amazingly crowded after we arrived and the bar keep and small staff took care of us in a decent manner. We enjoyed salmon, chicken, scallops, carrot soup, and a salmon pie--and they said that British food was bad--not this time. I'm still burping it up. As for the tube rides, today, I don't know what it was but we were jammed in there and it was most unpleasant. I'm still amazed at how difficult it is to adjust to the Brits driving on the left. We just automatically look to our left first when we cross the street, and that can be deadly. Also requiring a mental adjustment are the tiny cars, like the Smart car, which although really tiny, are cute. Attached are some pictures of the day. Thank you for your comments and I will try to have a picture or two of me in future photos as proof that I'm really in England and not just making all this up.

Day 2, 12-18-06, Monday



Well, I was able to go back to bed around 6 a.m. and everyone slept until 11 a.m., making for a shorter day, yesterday. Steve and I went for a run along the Thames Walk to Battersea Park. We then went to the grocery store and got to stock up. What I focused on was shortbread cookies and the white cheddar, not to mention the chocolate croissant. After our cold water showers, since the flat cannot really accommodate 5 showering in the morning, we left for our day in London. We walked around Trafalgar Square where the kids got to climb on the lions. We watched Maggie buy some sparkling red high top tennis shoes. That girl never seems to have enough shoes! We had a nice dinner at a very popular and nice Asian fusion type chain restaurant, Wagamama, and went to the National Theater to see a most amazing and wonderful play, "Coram Boy," which dealt with the "uplifting" topics of infanticide and child abduction. It was also a love story, musical, and gripping drama--including some powerful father-son themes. It was technically proficient and quite moving. It ended with Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. We all went to bed around 1:30 a.m. I woke up again, this time at around 4 a.m. and decided to make myself useful. I guess, I'll be tired, today. I've attached a sampling of pictures from the first 2 days.

Day 1, 12-17-06, Sunday



Eel pie sounds disgusting, doesn't it. As for wine that goes with it, I think that the main criteria is quantity--with more being better, not red or white!

Well, I had my first meal in jolly old England and it was a barbecue steak sandwich on Ciabata bread with fries. Now I remember why I don't particularly like fries. They tasted and have always tasted--like cardboard to me. The meat, they said it was steak, was gristly and tough--but good. Of course, I love barbecue sauce. After picking up our sandwiches, we walked across the bridge and along Kings Road in Chelsea and saw many fancy shops, went on the tube, went on the London Eye, walked along the Thames, crossed the Jubilee and Millennium Bridges, went to the Frost Festival along the shore, saw the new old Globe and the outside of St. Paul's Cathedral, got back on the tube, rode the new style red double decker bus--we climbed to the enclosed top level, and got back to our rented flat. Not bad for our first day in London. In fact, a lot of walking and we were all tired from jet lag and not getting much sleep on the plane. We were so tired, that we were too tired to be cranky.

As for the plane, it was pretty neat. We were on one of those new Airbus 330's which had an extensive amount of distractions on it like a competitive interactive trivia game, movies, music, and such--all in a flat screen video panel in the back of the headrest of the passenger in front of you. Many of us saw the Illusionist movie and found it to be very entertaining. They also fed us well--not gourmet, but better than the competition up there at who knows how many thousand feet. The free wine at dinner seemed to pick up most people's spirits.

Well, I'm up now and wide awake at 1 a.m., English time, so I guess I've gotten over my jet lag and have adjusted to the new time. Hope you are all doing well back there in the colonies. Any questions or suggestions? Don't be shy in expressing yourself.

Comments from a friend:

EEL PIE ??????
Is that possible to construct? And what wine would go best with it? Red or white?

My comment:

Dining in England--hum--I'll still have fun--just have to stay away from that eel pie!!! and the other uniquely British "delectables."

Friend's comment:

James this sounds outstanding! Christmas in England! All our best to you and Molly, have a safe trip, a Merry Christmas, and enjoy the outstanding British food: bangers, kidney pie, turtle soup, Yorkshire pudding, lots of boiled stuff, and lots and lots of white potatoes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 47


Advertisement



25th December 2006

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas from Minnesota, where at 10:30 AM it is 4:30 PM there ... thus, you have nearly completed your day. We hope that being there at this season has been as interesting and exciting as you anticipated! Tom and Marion Twaites
26th December 2006

Christmas in London is Great
Thank you for your wishes and greeting. We, indeed, are fortunate to see how they do Christmas in London. It has been a wonderful experience. I do not miss the snow and it hasn't been raining. The fog was interesting, but really no problem for us. Take care and thanks again for your comments.
26th December 2006

Cousin Donna and Gary
Thank you for your nice comments. The prices here, really does take your breath away. We met some other Americans at Harrods who said that if you pretend that the pound equals a dollar, it isn't so bad, but when we multiply the pound X 2 to get the equivalent dollar amount, it's really quite shocking. My best wishes and love to all of you.

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb