Dior...OVERWHELMED!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 16th 2019
Published: August 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 16, 2019

London, UK

OK….today we have a plan! Westminster Abbey, the V&A Museum, and Cream Tea here at the hotel. We even went so far as to purchase tickets online for the “Abbey,” so we won’t have to queue up. YAY!!!

The Rueben’s Hotel has a lovely breakfast which is included in our room…we have been VERY GOOD about rising at a proper hour to be able to partake. SO…for those of you worried about Christopher’s ability to obtain Poached eggs and Avocado toast, fear not. AVAILABLE…and quite good. We BOTH ordered – must admit, the bacon jam SEALS THE DEAL! I don’t even like bacon LOVE BACON JAM!!!

We are a bit early for our entrance time at the Abbey, so a walk around the area is in order. In 1968 & 1979, when first in London – we were able to walk right up to #10 Downing St. NOT. NO. MORE! The world in which we live! I said that aloud while in the queue for the Abbey (so much for not having to queue!) – an American couple in front of us thought I was talking about them, turned around and asked if they had offended us….I said VERY QUICKLY…”NO…I’m commenting on the fact that we have to go through security to enter the Abbey (a place of worship) – they were relieved, thinking they had cut the queue or something. CHILL…but I totally get it.

So - we spent something like 2.5 hours in the Abbey! Most of that was because of the CROWDS! THE PEOPLE. PEOPLE WHO DO NOT GIVE WAY; people who do not THINK! OK….THINK…if you enter a door or doorway and there is space available for you to MOVE out of the doorway…DO. IT! JUST. DO. IT! I guarantee you won’t miss a thing. I promise. UGH. So frustrating.

People are probably afraid to travel with me now! BTW….Christopher, always the “nice one,” feels exactly the same way! OK. There.

After 1 when we leave the Abbey – grab a hot dog (very good) and head off to the V&A. Arrive at the V&A – join for 2 cheaper than paying entrance fee for 2 people to see JUST The Dior exhibit. Resourceful (and thank you B. Cupper for the suggestion).

DIOR. IS. NOT. TO. BE. MISSED. Gobsmacked. Overwhelmed. Just a spectacular exhibition. Absolutely wonderful. One sees the influence from each and every Head Designer as the label evolves. From the “New Look” through to the most recent Haute Couture gown designed by Maria Grazia Chiuri – the DNA is the “same”. Dior, St. Laurent, Bohan, Ferre, Galliano, Raf Simons, and now Maria Grazia Chiuri (the Floral Feather Gown…..I CAN’T….so gorgeous….words cannot describe the delicacy and intricacy of this gorgeous gown). Galliano, extravagant. St. Laurent…tailoring, Bohan…consistent, Chiuri – reflective, yet looking forward – fresh! Fabulous.



OK…We spent a LOT of time at Dior a little over 2 hours – I must go back. AMAZING!

Time for tea at the Hotel.

Elegant. Stylish. Wonderful. Just a lovely way to put a punctuation mark on what has been a truly fun filled day in London. There is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much food on that stand. We did our best but left QUITE a lot uneaten. Guilt ridden – we each take teeny weeny bites out of the sweets (only ate half of the scones) and called it quits. No dinner for us tonight.

Each of the sweets had a Royal Reference – the elderflower cake: Archie’s christening; the Peach Mousse (in the shape of a peach…filled with fresh peach): the Peach is the Queen’s favorite fruit; Gin Macaroon: The Queen likes her Gin & Tonic every day (woman after my own heart). Get the idea…. Live music fills the air; he’s actually QUITE GOOD! We absolutely enjoyed our 2 hour tea.

Back and forth communication with Cousin Chris and we agree to meet here at our Hotel for a cocktail.

Chris arrived at the set time and we descend to the lobby. The New York Bar is a great place to enjoy a cocktail – and we DO ENJOY a cocktail! Chris orders some food, as he hasn’t eaten – Christopher & I order a Scotch each. Yet ANOTHER perfect punctuation mark on our wonderful day.

We make plans for Saturday – and Sunday – but everything is up in the air and negotiable.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0856s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb