British Museum, Savoy Grill and Harry Potter


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 28th 2018
Published: June 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Michelin Star Count: Today 0; Trip 11



So this morning we headed out to Lantana Cafe Fitzrovit, a little cafe a few minutes walk from the British Museum in London. Came highly recommended and it didn’t disappoint. Banana bread french toast, eggs and avocado and of course, the Bert- egg, bacon, rocket, cheese between two slices of sourdough. Definitely worth the stop. Right around the corner is a Fabrique, which we have not seen since Stockholm a few years back. Go to Lantana, have breakfast, hit Fabrique for a cardamom bun. Don’t ask, just do it.



After breakfast we had a guided tour of the British museum in London. First off...what a HUGE building. This is an enormous museum. A fantastic collection of artefacts from British colonial history including a room full of stone wall carvings from the Parthenon- with a somewhat questionable ownership but that is for Britain and Greece to figure out. And a piece of the Rosetta Stone. Nothing but thousands of years of history. Worth the trip and worth the price of a guide. You would miss so much if you didn’t know what to look for. Context Tours. Same team as for the Tower yesterday.



Inside the museum is a little Italian cafeteria for lack of a better word. Have lunch. The pizza is pretty authentic and they serve salads, something most of the UK does not!



A quick run to the theatre to pick up our Potter tix and then back to the hotel for a little relax and then change to head to Savoy Grill for pre theatre dinner. A 3 course, reasonably priced, very tasty Gordon Ramsay meal. Whit onion soup, baked egg cocotte with bacon relish, seafood ravioli round out the apps. All were had and all were thoroughly finished (the egg was especially tasty). Main was Cumberland sausage with creamed celeriac and pan fried cod with parsley mash. Again, very good. Simple but with a Gordon Ramsat twist (the sausage, a fairly basic staple here in the UK, was served with a red wine sauce). Also had their special cocktail, a beetroot negroni. A very nice twist on a very classic cocktail. Dessert was a lemon meringue tart with basil sorbet, chocolate device with apricot ice cream or Creme caramel with oat shortbread. Again, all were had and thoughoughly eaten!



After, we took a short subway ride to the Palace Theatre so see part one of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the play about HP 22 years later. Won’t spoil anything but a very good show with amazing effects. Can’t wait to see part two tomorrow night.



Westminster Abbey and Hedone tomorrow. Making an even dozen stars!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb