Notting Hill + some...


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Howdy All,

What a day (and a half!) commentary currently from Brett (sorry!)😞
Well, after dealing with what become an endless, endless ,endless (you get the point) flight/s we have arrived - previous post confirmed!

Today/Yesterday 😊
Zombie like, we decided to check out our surrounds, as brain functions were lacking (on my behalf - is all I can explain), we headed for Hyde Park in search of squirrels (we found none). That resolved, Oxford St loomed near and within sight... We trecked up the beaten path which is 'Oxford St' and to my surprise - perhaps amazement, Julie only ventured into a 'couple' of shops...and bought, "nothing"! (jetlag has taken it's toll!) For the record I did buy one shirt on Oxford Street, on sale! Most of the shops have their summer gear in now...

We aimlessly wandered, coming across whatever presented itself, with no real purpose in our travels. A few sights, a few BOB's (as I shall now refer them as - Big Old Buildings!) we ended up in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace and upon laying in the gardens opposite (there were no signs to tell me I couldn't!) I took some snaps, much to the amusement of myself and fellow tourists.

Day 2 found us in Notting Hill...I liken it to Leederville (WA) in some respects - enough old world charm to delight and enough 'edge' to bring it back down to Earth (Julie can explain this section...) We strolled down Portobello Rd, not all the markets were open though there are some fabulous old shops to poke around in. It was nice to be away from the noise and people of central London for a while and as Brett said, in the sun! Notting Hill was just an amazing place to people watch, could have sat there all day. Melbourne 'ladies' we will be enjoying some Pim's in the future!

We sat at a pub for a while, people watching on what turned out to a very enjoyable and sunny afternoon. Julie discovered Pims!
Snapped some "guy" who tours with GaGa - I reckon it IS himerself! Anyway, Julie sorted them out when they bagged Aussie pubs. Semi Precious Weapons is the name of the band we saw (I googled them)

Ended up catching the train to Westminster where I turned Japanese with all the "BOB's". With the memory card full and the body thirsty we ventured back to Mayfair in search of a comfy local. That being found, a couple of quiet ones and a nice meal to finish it all off...

Tomorrow - more BOB's...? There is certainly enough of them over here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb