Welcome to England


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Vauxhall
September 22nd 2008
Published: November 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hilton Tower BridgeHilton Tower BridgeHilton Tower Bridge

The View from outside.
Greetings from London Everyone,

Up until this date Stephen and I have been settling into life very well I think. For those who don’t know I will go though what happened since we flew in from Munich on the 9th of July.

We flew into Stansted, and let me just say NEVER AGAIN. Iit was so far away and cost so much to get into London and out to Crowthorne where Kirrilee lives. We were lucky enough to have Chris and Kirrilee as a starter base. We relaxed over the weekend, did ALL our washing and tried to get back to normal. As normal as it can be when you living in a strange country.

We both started the job hunting process hoping to get something close by, the great news was that LegoLand in Windsor was employing. We both applied, me for food and beverage and Stephen for logistic and ride management. We didn’t hear anything back and so we continued to apply for jobs. Stephen and I went cold calling the hotels in Crowthorne and then also applied online. I had an interview for a job in Windsor and then had applied through an agency for
Hilton London Tower BridgeHilton London Tower BridgeHilton London Tower Bridge

My work and the lobby.
work. They lined me up for an interview but took forever to organise it. Time was ticking away and we seemed like we were going no-where. There weren’t jobs in the area for Stephen; he had a better chance being in London. We both applied for work in London - I was lucky enough to go for an interview on Monday, a second interview on Tuesday and then go the job on Thursday. Then as you would have it I got three more job offers. Stephen went for an interview and got offered the job on the spot - Grounds Keeper at Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge. All the while we were also looking for a place to live, which proved a little more difficult that we had thought and not to mention getting a bank account. Unfortunately because we had the four months of travelling first the London leg was a little less organised that maybe it should have been. We spent about a week in total looking for a place to live and with the help of an agent we found the prefect place. It has everything we need close by, Salisbury (supermarket), train for Stephen, tube for me and plenty of pubs around.

Throughout our short time in England we have already celebrated some birthdays. It all started with Sophie’s 5th birthday and her bowling party. Believe it or not Stephen and I were counted as adult supervision. We all had a lane and about 5 kids to look after, if you think this was hard, Kirrilee was on toilet duty and considering she is pregnant it was her needing to go half the time!! Her birthday cake was also a group effort, three of us worked on it. From baking the pink marble butter cake to sculpting it into a number five; I left the icing to the boys. It was beautiful even if I say so myself. Nothing compared to Fiona’s handy work but still very impressive.

The next birthday was Stephen’s 30th birthday, he also request a bowling party except this time it involved a few more bevies for the non pregnant and over the age ones. Unfortunately the birthday boy didn’t even win either games and I had the second game with the bumpers up!! That was my skill level; it had nothing to do with drinking and was to do with
Our FlatOur FlatOur Flat

Kitchen
that I was bowling back to front! On his actual birthday Stephen and I took advantage of West End and I surprised him with tickets to Spamalot. Thanks to all that sent through birthday well wishes and sent a video message.

The next birthday that quickly rolled by was my own. It was a low key affair, we had a roast with Kirrilee, Chris and the kids on the Saturday night with some very strong cider and yummy apple crumble! On my birthday I cooked a wicked dinner - Chicken Parma and then we went to another show - Avenue Q.

Even though we have only been here what feels like a short time, it will be six months away at the end of September and we have already had a few visitors. My older sister Fiona is currently travelling the Middle East; she has taken four months off to work to travel Europe, the Middle East and Britain. It’s been lovely seeing her in-between her tours as she is using London as a base. We spent a week doing some sightseeing, riding the London Eye and I introduced her to the English drink of Pimms. Mum, you’d
Our FlatOur FlatOur Flat

Dinning Room
be proud of us, it’s so yummy. Earlier, we spent one sunny afternoon at Kirrilee and Chris, making our way through a whole bottle, since we didn’t know what else we could do with Chris’s cucumbers that were over taking his veggie garden. Seemed like a great idea since we were over cucumber sandwiches.

The next visitors that we are preparing for are Jan and Pauline Harris, that’s right Stephen’s parents are coming over for two and a bit weeks and we are going on tour with them around the England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Stephen and I are both looking forward to them coming over and especially taking time of work, working is hard work.

So stay tuned and we will have new blogs for you about our adventures with Jan and Pauline.

We hope everyone is safe and well.

Speak soon,
Love,
Michelle and Stephen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our FlatOur Flat
Our Flat

Bedroom


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb