Excursion to Olympic Park, Stratford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Stratford
June 28th 2020
Published: June 28th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Steve, Bryn and RhiannonSteve, Bryn and RhiannonSteve, Bryn and Rhiannon

We have not met them for a long time; It is the first time since 21 March that we were out of Wood Green.
Since 21 March we have always stayed at home or local, haven’t gone anywhere further than Wood Green.



However, non-essential shops like clothes and bookshops started reopening in England on 15 June and it made it possible for me to buy presents for my husband, my father and my nephew. We decided to meet up with Bryn, Steve and Rhiannon somewhere near their house around Mark’s birthday, 23 June. Steve suggested meeting in the Olympic Park on 27 June. The weather forecast of 27 June was rather grim, so we decided to meet them in the lunchtime near the Podium entrance on 28 June. He told us that the toilet near the Podium has just become available, which was a great relief.



We took Piccadilly, Victoria and Overground Line to Stratford. It wasn’t so crowded, but still fewer services than normal on the Overground train; we were running a little late for the meeting.



Steve, Rhiannon, and Bryn came with their bicycles and their assorted equipment; they looked like a sporting family. We sat on the lawn overlooking the river and the aquatic centre on the opposite bank, and had a picnic
MarkMarkMark

Mark is carrying in a pink coloured rucksack - this rucksack is mine!
lunch. We were all telling what we have been up to during the lockdown – Mark working at home and I’m doing housework, reading and waiting to hear the date for my shop reopening.



After the lunch, we decided to walk in the Olympic Park. We saw several people riding on pedaloes in the river. Rhiannon told me that the pedalo ride has just been opened recently. There were a number of scented flowers blooming on the valley bank – they looked very colourful. It started showering 5 minutes after we had begun walking – we stopped a bit under the thick shrubs.



Afterwards, the sun appeared and we continued walking on the riverside. We saw some water birds – coots, ducks and heron. There were quite a few cyclists, joggers and families in the park. Rhiannon pointed at the bell which was rung at the start of the Olympic 2012 near the main stadium.



While walking on the riverside, unfortunately, the thick cloud appeared in front of us and it began raining heavily, and it made us stop walking further. The weather forecast of 28 June was cloudy with sunny intervals; we didn’t bring waterproof jackets and umbrellas.



We left Steve, Rhiannon and Bryn just after 3 o’clock, and walked through Westfield city shopping centre and went back to Wood Green.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

HeronHeron
Heron

This helon looks like a sculpture... but it is a real one. We think the helon was looking for the food in the water.
Chihiro with a facemaskChihiro with a facemask
Chihiro with a facemask

I have made quite a few homemade masks with handkerchiefs and Japanese towels. It is mandatory for us to wear a facemask on the public transport as of 28 June.


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 16; qc: 53; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb