London - The Markets


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Mile End
May 29th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was our market day. Our first market on the list was the Columbia Road flower market. I’d never seen so much people on such a small and narrow street it was absolutely packed with people. It was a mission to get in one side and out the other. We pretty much just went there for a look as it would have been pointless to buy anything. While pushing through the crowd to get out the other end it was funny listening to all the sellers trying to draw people in with their great deals, ‘Two for a fiver’ and ‘three for a tenner’ all in the British accent of course.

From there we walked to Brick Lane known for its vintage clothes and accessories also another popular street on a Sunday. Unlike Columbia Road Brick lane was bigger and much, much longer. The start of the street had all the temporary stalls, mainly being food. It then went into all the permanent stores, mostly selling vintage and second hand clothes. Brick Lane reminded me of Womad with its range of different food and its unique clothing and accessories. It was certainly a change from all the chain type stores we’ve been used to. After looking in a few shops we headed to Spitafeilds Market. Spitafeilds was another different market. It was much more organized and being undercover made it much more pleasant. It had a good range of clothes, bags and especially jewellery.

Around the corner from Spitafeilds we went to a really nice restaurant where we meet Richard and Sheryl who I had never heard of until then. We went there for lunch but didn’t end up leaving until around three. We caught the double Decker bus back stopping at an outdoor gym Rhonda had used a few times to have a look. We then walked along the cannel back to Rhonda’s place.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb