Old Marylebone Walk


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Marylebone
November 11th 2011
Published: November 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

There has been more variety of walks added recently. We were interested in the walk of Old Marylebone yesterday from Bond Street starting from Bond Street. After leaving the bustling Oxford Street, we were taken to the little lane lined with charming individual shops and stylish restaurants, which is one of the features of Marylebone village. Before arriving at the Wallace Collection, we saw the very distinctive mustard coloured building, i.e. the very famous Methodist Church on Hinde Street. The walk included the guided tours of Wallace Collection’s highlight paintings. We were given the interpretation of the famous paintings, French furniture, etc.

Afterwards, we walked northwards and were shown the back and face of St James Roman Catholic Church, the design of façade looked similar to one I visited in southern France several years ago. Marylebone is one of the most expensive residential areas in London. A lot of grand and stylish buildings were standing along the grid lined streets. The guide stopped at the quiet corners from time to time and explained various buildings which were built or re-modelled in the different period of the time, i.e. Medieval, Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian, post war period, and modern period. We were shown the residential houses built in the mews where traces of former stables were visible. Due to the luxurious garage facilities, the rents of houses are rather high considering the sizes of each property. All of Ossington buildings were built in 1888, the year of which were shown on each block of the flat, were once resided by the artists.

We continued walking northwards, stopped at the site of Old Church yard and St Marylebone Church were Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett were married. We found a number of celebrities like Charles Wesley or Edmund Hoyle were buried on the site of old Parish Church.

Afterwards, we entered the Regents Park. Orange, purple, red, and yellow coloured foliage were on display in the park. Various types of waterfowls, e.g. geese, swans, ducks and herons were flocking on the Boating Lake. We really enjoyed the walk of Old Marylebone on 29th October. We will have a proper look at St Marylebone Church one day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb