Remember Me to Leicester Square


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
October 17th 2006
Published: October 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was day one back in the big city and a time to go a-touristing. We started off at Buckingham Palace. I was quite disappointed, it's just an ugly square thing with some gold on the gates. You'd think that the family that once ruled over half the world through their empire would have had some nicer digs. And it wasn't changing of the guard day, so the guards didn't have their bear hats on. Humph.

Walked down to Piccadilly Circus admiring all the window displays in the fancy stores along the way. The Circus was mad busy and felt like London Proper, Corb liked the cool new TVs on the corner. Wandering further we checked out Leicester Square before visiting the National Portrait Gallery. Highlights there included the Beatles Balcony and portraits of such wonderful Britons as Beatrix Potter and Agatha Christie.

Trafalgar Square was of course the favourite, but the big lions did that immediately. Someone was making some loud noises to scare the pidgeons so we had to cover our heads as they flew in great swarms around the square several times. Having lunch on the steps was a perfect time to people watch, and we saw some average Capoiera, before heading inside to the National Gallery. It was pretty alright though the Velazquez exhibition doesn't start til tomorrow so I was a little sad. Consoled myself with the fact that I'd probably seen the best before at the Prado. Still might come back later in the week.....

Wandered down to the Thames, catching my first glimpes of Shiny old Big Ben and the London Eye. The water was a bit murky and kinda gross - they aren't so big on clean waterways in this country.

Caught the tube back to Bayswater to drop off our gear then headed over to meet Sam for the evening. The flat that he and Anna are in is pretty sweet - all new and with views to boot. The area seems pretty nice with lots of bars and restaurants and even fairy lights which was in my opinion the highlight. Sam cooked us up a well tasty feed which made me long for being able to cook when we get home, though not for the shopping bills that go with that first shop in a while. Headed over the road for a couple of pints and a catch up, then home to farewell Rowan one last time and tuck into bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb