Day two


Advertisement
Published: May 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another big day as we decided to leave our affluent leafy suburb that we have become accustomed to and head into London for a self guided tour.

Steph met us at 9 for a nice healthy breakfast.

We had made plans to see the changing of the guards, so our day would revolve around that.

After hiring bikes, we peddled our way to Buckingham palace. I probably got warned three times for riding on the footpath, but the other option was to join the busy traffic and die on the roads. Just told them I was from Australia which seems to work.

Along the way we were lucky enough to see the police/queens horses in training.

Changing of the guards was ok, but you wouldn't rush back. Seems a lot of trouble for someone knocking off work. (suggest they get a finger scanner and do away with all the marching and yelling).

We then headed on foot over to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben.

From there we headed along the Thames and down past the London Eye, ending up at the Borough Markets.

The market was fantastic. Showcasing a vast range of food, most of excellent quality.

We had lunch and then went to the Soutwark cathedral, Londons oldest gothic church.

This was the highlight of our day and would recommend to anyone as a must see attraction, no photos or words can describe the history in this one building.

Next it was over London Bridge and down to London Tower.

We missed the last tour and found out you would need a couple of hours to explore .

Needing a drink, Steph new of an old English pub called the Dickens. Thankfully it was close by.

An English pint and two wines got us recharged for a few more sites on the way back.

Around here is a little marina and we discovered the queen has a rowing boat. Don't know why she needs a row boat, probably because some other king or queen had one? LOL

Jumped back on the train to explore Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus. This is where a lot of movies preimere and the red carpet was out for The Hoff. We didn't hang around to see him.

More exploring brought us to M&M world. This was four levels of everything and anything to do with M&M's.

Walked past Bubba Shrimp World from Forrest Gump.

Also found Jamie Oliver's Diner and will try and get there tomorrow night for Stephs Birthday.

Big day and worn out, so we find a bike station and peddle back to Kenington.

Got home about 8 pm


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



21st May 2015

Nice photos digginses, happy Birthday Steph!
22nd May 2015
M & M World

You got the job then? well done!

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb