Went to see London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
August 21st 2010
Published: August 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Old Buildings



We bought a round trip MegaBus ticket for $30.00 each. Half the ride was by bus and the other half was by train. After about a 4 hour trip we arrived at St. Pancras train station. The station was directly across from Kings Cross train station. Apparently the scene from Harry Potter where he runs through the brick wall was filmed there.

Aidy and I decided we would just walk south until we hit River Thames and from there look for some cheap hostels. Unfortunately there was none in that area. After walking by the tower of London and the Tower Bridge, we got a underground (subway) ticket back to Kings Cross and found a cheap hotel in the area. In fact it was 7 pounds cheaper at our hotel than at the nearest backpackers hostel.

We spent the next two days walking the streets of London. We saw St. Paul's Cathedral, the National Gallery, The national history Museum, China Town, Buckingham Palace, the Gherkin Building and more.
But my favorite of all was the Houses of Parliament. It is absolutely, the most awesome architecture I've ever seen. It seems elaborate and artistic from a distance but even more so when you get close. The details are awesome. There are stone gargoyles and giant lions holding what looks like golden Keys. It was a truly amazing sight but it seemed I almost forgot what it stood for. I was so used to seeing buildings that were now ancient and were now nothing more than a tourist spot but this was not the case with Parliament.

There were people across the street protesting. Armed with signs and tents, they spoke out against the war in Iraq. My political views aside, I was moved by there efforts. If there was any place to protest in England directly in front of the Parliament building would be the place your voice was sure to be heard.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Protesters Protesters
Protesters

They were directly across the street from the Houses of Parliament.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb