Spain, Cruise, Europe to ENGLAND


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
August 14th 2009
Published: November 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

England, LondonEngland, LondonEngland, London

Carnaby Street
Day 53: Fri 14th. August: Week 8: ENGLAND, London: Temp 23C: We arrived at Heathrow at about 1735, collected our luggage and purchased a 7 day Travel Card that allowed us to travel within 6 zones. Down to the train and off we went - on the fast train - not the right thing to do so we had to pay for that train fare BUT we were in London in 20 minutes - wow. Onto the Barkerloo line to Oxford Circus then up and onto the street, read the street signs and hauling our cases we trudged to the hostel in Noel Street. Well, the entrance was small, the lift was small so getting in/out was difficult. Reception was OK but then came the stairs - some young man helped us with cases which was very greatly appreciated. Our room was OK, old of course with a view over rooftops and we could see the London Eye. BUT the bathroom was the pits - the taps didn't turn off, the floor was continually wet so the place stank of wet and mould. Showering became a hated necessity and as we had booked 6 nights I looked on the bright side
England, LondonEngland, LondonEngland, London

Carnaby Street
and started a countdown as I showered. The thing is though, I really like being in LONDON, I LOVE ENGLAND and it was so good to be back again, to see the sights, smell the smells hmmmm, hear the sounds but best of all to meet up my family and friends. No meals provided at this hostel so we found a lovely quiet litlle restaurant in the next street across the road from a roudy pub, where we sat in comfortable chairs, were waited upon and presented with a very lovely meal. The waiter suggested s good place to see was the Wallace Collection.

Day 54: 15th August: London: Temp 22C: We made our own brekky this morning - Weetbix and banana. Nothing wrong with that!!!.Off to the Wallace Collection (was a private collection) - no trouble to find and it was so well worth the visit - we spent several hours there and can recommend it. There is a restaurant on-site with a good selection of food. We wandered along the streets, hopped onto a bus to Petticoat Lane and the markets, but we were too late and everything closed, so we had lunch in a cafe cum pub, and found a bus to take us to the Embankment. We walked from St. Paul's to Westminster Bridge, across and along South Bank through swarming hoards of people, buskers, entertainers and clowns. Along the way we came across a spot where the beach was exposed as the tide was out, so there were people on the beach on the Thames so down I went to feel the sand and have my photo taken; still walking we came to Tower Bridge which was swarming with people, to Tower Hill U/G and back to the hostel. What a day.

Day 55: 16th. August: London: Temp 24C: Exciting day to come. We started off on an outing to Farnborough to meet up with my family, that is my grandfather's sisters family - cousins no matter how far distant - they are very special to me. John met us at the station and within minutes we were at his home and greeted by Beryl. So wonderful to see these people again - twice in three years. There was plenty to talk about before Pete, Ruth and Claire arrived followed by Malcolm and Dianne. A lovely day was spent in their garden, wining and dining, chatting and laughing - what do I love about England - the sun when it shines, the cosy back gardens, the birds and flowers and being with my rellies. All too soon it was time to say goodbye until next time but hoping to see Dianne and Malcolm soon in Australia.

Day 56: 17th. August: London: Temp 22C: Today we trained from one place to another and eventually at the Royal Albert Hall to get tickets for the BBC Proms and TONIGHT was the only time we could fit the show in. Off to the Victoria and Albert Museum and lunch in the large dining area after choosing from the extensive choice of food before walking through the Museum. After passing by the Art Metal Division, I had this mad urge to go in and have a look when Vera shouted "here is a piece by Thomas Potter and Sons of London" this was my great great grandfather - how exciting to find a piece of his work in the Victoria and Albert Museum - a hat stand made for the House of Commons. Home for tea, shower and change then off to the BBC Proms. Fantastic day.

Day 57: 18th August: London: Temp 23C: Up early again and off to the trains as we were heading south to Orpington to spend the day with my friends Jean and Keith. We were met at the station and driven home for a cuppa before getting into the car and driving to Hever Castle. We walked through the grounds and into the castle, read the boards of information and history, climbed up and down steps before heading to the cafe for lunch. A beautiful day, the sun was shining, a gentle breeze blowing so the weather was just perfect and the crowds not so bad. For tea we went to a White Hart Pub, full of Memorabilia and where the boys had a drink before flying out on the night raids. Home on the late train and what another wonderful day we had.

Day 58: 19th. August: London: Temp 27C: Our last day in London, so we strolled for a while, did a tour of The Globe Theatre and went through the Museum there, walked across the Millenium Bridge to St. Paul's then hopped on a bus to the Dockland Railway and trained out to Beckworth, did some shopping then back to town and hostel.

Day 59: 20th. August: London: Temp 22C: Up and off to the airport for the long haul home to Australia with a direct flight London - Singapore - Perth: no stopover anywhere.

Day 60: 21st. August: Home in Perth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

England, LondonEngland, London
England, London

The Thames Beach
England, LondonEngland, London
England, London

The Thames Beach
England, LondonEngland, London
England, London

Me on the Thames Beach
England, LondonEngland, London
England, London

Royal Albert Hall
England, LondonEngland, London
England, London

The Albert Monument
England, LondonEngland, London
England, London

The Albert Monument


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb