Crazy Brits with a dash of Scots


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
July 18th 2009
Published: July 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello all! A quick update from the U.K.

On Monday the 13th, we all met up at Trafalgar Square in London. Jenae' and I waited patiently while the Mamas found their way across the pond. We took a quick buzz through the National Gallery before heading up (and I mean UP!) in the London Eye. It was a great evening for it as the skies were clear and the view was spectacular. We all headed back to the B&B so the Mamas could crash!

On Tuesday, we started our day with a 3-hour bike tour! Our tour guide was named Dez and he was pretty fantastic! We zipped through the city and saw more things then I can list here, but I'll tell you all about it when I get home! Then, Mom and I toured Westminster Abbey where most of the Kings and Queens of England have been crowned, and even more are buried. We got cleaned up, grabbed some dinner, and saw "We Will Rock You". It's a rock musical about the banning of live music in the future that involves mostly Queen songs. It's probably the coolest show I've ever seen, and all of the leads had AMAZING voices! Mom got the soundtrack for all to enjoy.

Wednesday began with a tour of the Victoria & Albert Museum, where we met two of Mom's co-workers from this side of the pond for lunch. They were very nice and gave us lots of tips about London. After that, we walked through Hyde Park to get to Kengsington Palace. Many of Princess Di's dresses were on display, and they were beautiful. Next, we went on a Pub Walk tour that was full of fun facts and tidbits. We checked out of there early to head to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. This is the ceremony performed to lock up to Tower every night for the past 700 years. Finally, the Mamas headed back and Jenae' and I saw Harry Potter 6!! It was fantastic to see all the sights of London at the beginning of the movie!

Thursday started off with a visit to the Tower of London, site of many, many beheadings. We went on a funny tour with a Beefeater, though he had no idea why they are called that. Then, we toured Shakespeare's Globe Theater, grabbed some gelatto (yum!), and headed to St. Paul's Cathedral. It was beautiful, light, and airy! Jenae's mother, Theresa, and I climbed all 547 steps to the very top of the Cathedral to see a ridiculously cool view of London. It was quite a workout, but worth it! Finally, we buzzed through the British Museum and then hit the sack, quite exhausted from our light-speed tour of London. Whew!

The next day, we awoke quite early to head to King's Cross Train Station. Jenae' and I found Platform 9 3/4 from Harry Potter (are you sensing a theme yet?) and then we were off! We arrived in Edinburgh, where it was raining (or bucketing, for all you Brits). We found our adorable B&B and settled in. The next morning, we walked up to the Castle of Edinburgh, which was quite large. We toured that, and then wandered through the Royal Mile to Holyrood Palace, where Queen Elizabeth chills when she's in town. That about covers the trip so far, but boy, are we pooped!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb