#1 Jerry fans take over the Circle Line


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
February 9th 2008
Published: January 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The flatties at the infamous 159BThe flatties at the infamous 159BThe flatties at the infamous 159B

Tickles, Joel, Si, Puds and me
The infamous Waitangi Day pub crawl is pretty much every Kiwis' god-given right in London each year. To mark our inaugural participation, more than 40 of us had personalised black hoodies made, plus Ryan made legendary Jerry Collins tee-shirts - prompting Jerry Springer chants everywhere we went and brought tears to the eyes of one dedicated fan...

We descended on the Circle Line mid-morning at Notting Hill, while the hard-core, including my brother and his crew, started earlier at Paddington. It was important to always stay ahead of the pack in order to make it to the finish line at Westminster Square - where the survivors congregate for the haka at 3pm.

Unlike the name, you don't actually frequent bars along the way (unless it's to make it to a bathroom). It's much more sensible to buy a big bag of roadies and take over the area surrounding the tube stop.

We made it to Parliament before the haka and just in time to refuel at McDonald's and pick up the strays we'd lost in along the way. It's the only occasion in London where the police let people take over Westminster Square. (Not that they had much choice with 10,000 inebriated Kiwis on the scene!)

Ashamedly, we decided to keep the party going by heading to She Bu Walkie afterwards, where we knocked back snakies and breezers till closing time. Not the most reverent of celebrations, but a lot more memorable than back home. Sign me up for the Treaty in 2009!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Nice parkaNice parka
Nice parka

Joel, Billy T and Lance Armstrong
Nice pins!Nice pins!
Nice pins!

Brad and Bron


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb