Oxford


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent Monday in Oxford. The weather was a mixed bag of sun, wind and rain but it didn’t stop us having a good day. We ate lunch on the coach and upon arrival the students set off to explore the town. The plan was to go punting but the weather was a little too wild for it. We managed to go inside a few colleges including the beautiful Jesus College and St Edmunds, where a pianist was playing some wonderful classical music. At 4.00 we met the students and were then caught in a thunderstorm and heavy rain. It was very funny to observe some cultural differences. Most Europeans seemed unbothered by the rain and carried on regardless, being protected by good-quality raincoats. Our students used tiny umbrellas - maybe raincoats are not fashionable , which are pretty useless really and just get in the way. Debbie and I even overheard a French guy say to his Chinese friend, ‘Don’t you have rain in China?’ as he seemed amazed at how worried she was to get even a little bit wet.

At 6 o’clock we went to an old pub, The Turf, for dinner and then it was a quick dash to the bus station for the 8 o’clock bus back to London. We eventually got back to the hostel just after 11 - a long but rewarding day. Oh, and Jack sang on the bus !!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0186s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb