Where is Londie?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
September 28th 2005
Published: September 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Ladies Love the Hair, What can I sayThe Ladies Love the Hair, What can I sayThe Ladies Love the Hair, What can I say

A Wig that I borrowed from a nice girl I met and will be meeting up with in London soon, her name is Jayne Faulkes, how British of a name is that.
For starters, Melanie got a cell phone (aka mobile in British) and can be reached at any time at 011-44-789-632-7626 (where 011 is to call out of the states, 44 is England's Code, and the 789... part is here actual cellie number) Please call us, it'd make our days.

Anyways, here's the blawg.

Hey all, I'm not doing too poorly on the blogging front am I? Its good to hear back from many of you, GI, JayLev, 811 girls (mmmmm, Garlic and Onions, and Rice-n-beans Rice-n-beans), London, Dad, Edi, Gainesium, and everyone else.

It seems like me writing in this journal is fun for all, whoopie, and so I shall continue.

We are now in London Proper, uhn. We did the full-on-American-style-tourist-picture-taking-tube-taking-river-crossing-museum-seeing-chip-eating thing all in one long beautiful day yesterday. The weather in London was just as predicted and the opposite all in one day. 95% of the day the weather was Sunny and just cool enough to walk around with a light windbreaker on, I'd say perfect. Then at around 4:20 in the afternoon (had to throw that one in there) the rainclouds had a closed-door meeting and decided it was time to disperse all over
PRIMUS SUCKSPRIMUS SUCKSPRIMUS SUCKS

The Band and the Beer both. You'll know what I'm talking bout if you rock!
the beautiful city. So, surely enough it was time to step inside somewhere and check out the buildings.

We experienced our first museum yesterday, the National Gallery, which was awesome, well the parts we decided to see at least. The National Gallery is a museum consisting purely of artwork, all from the 1200s till the late 1800s, so its not the most moving stuff ever, but still cool. We chose to see the 1700's and 1800s stuff only, as the old renaissance art is not really my thing, too much Madonna and child, Jesus and Madonna, Madonna and baby, etc, for me. There were 3 rooms of impressionist works including Renoir, Van Gogh (wow), Manet, Monet, and more. I really love the impressionist stuff even more every time I see it, its simple, beautifully made and are generally paintings of beatifully natural landscapes too. It takes a great hand to make, yes, but and even better eye to pick great scenes to copy down on canvas.

We left the museum and took a walking trip past the London Eye, the giant Ferris Wheel, a great idea as it totally sticks out and can be seen from anywhere, kind of
Barn Party, yehaw!Barn Party, yehaw!Barn Party, yehaw!

We went to a barn party for a friend-of-a-friends birthday party. 10 fosters, spliff, and 2 bitters later, I slept.
like a skyscraper, buy more for the tourists. We saw big Ben, which I don't think is that spectacular, and Westminster Abbey which looks Turkish!? HUh?

BTW, Jorgs, I'm reading "Be Cool" by Elmore Leonard, author of bestsellers such as "Get Shorty" and "Out of Sight". The book is great, full of surprises, and badassness (call me Noah Webster) , I havent seen the movie yet, I probably will choose to even though it looked like it sucked.

SO much more cool stuff, but I think I'll stop typing here, and get straight to the pictures. Much love, kids and aged ones.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Just relaxing in the barnJust relaxing in the barn
Just relaxing in the barn

Melanie, Alex, Jo, and Phil. In case you couldn't tell, British Alex is sporting a Giants cap
The Night ProgressesThe Night Progresses
The Night Progresses

Fosters, Australian for Makes-You-Rock-Out. Richie, the cricket bowler, and our pal Alex
Larry Miller Band, a reincarnate of JimiLarry Miller Band, a reincarnate of Jimi
Larry Miller Band, a reincarnate of Jimi

This man is God. Wow. He played Jimi's Star-Spangled Banner from Woodstock '69. WOW!
Jayne and MelJayne and Mel
Jayne and Mel

Here's Jayne on the left, we hit it off really well, so wish me luck, yall.
The London Eye and Big BenThe London Eye and Big Ben
The London Eye and Big Ben

From the South Bank, checking out The London Eye, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben from left to right.
Dali in the Modern WorldDali in the Modern World
Dali in the Modern World

A Sculpture of Dali's "Persistance of Memory" beneath the giant Ferris Wheel.
More DaliMore Dali
More Dali

Just Trip Out.
Trippers AboundTrippers Abound
Trippers Abound

Trippers Worldwide, but I sure showed them.
Smart Bar in WindsorSmart Bar in Windsor
Smart Bar in Windsor

Nothing to say, just read it and weep.
Row boats in OxfordRow boats in Oxford
Row boats in Oxford

Beautiful, isn't it. I think they are for crew racing.


28th September 2005

hhhhhhhhhhhhhwhat!
my main man-iac! good to hear from you, good sir knight... but enough of all that! the time has come, my little friend, to talk of other things! of shoes, and ships, and cealing wax! of cabbages and kings! and while the sea is boiling hot, (and weather pigs have wings...) callou, callay, we'll eat todaaaaaaaaaaaaay like cabbages and kings!
28th September 2005

You are a great writer, Mr. Chods
I really enjoy reading your humorous and intelligent comments.
28th September 2005

gosh, reading this stuff really brings me back to my london time. i'm so jealous! the National Gallery is awesome. Be sure to check out the National Portrait Gallery too though, its right behind it (i totally understand the "one viewing of Madonna and child is plenty" idea. i found the NPG more engaging). glad you're enjoying yourself. i'll try to think of more suggestions. how much longer do you have there? all right, i should get back to work now. ha Lindsey -oh yeah, hit dat gadi ;)
29th September 2005

lksadjfl;askdfj
hello sir gadiel. i can't believe that you were able to play in a cricket game in England within the first week of being there. that's so 'you' styles. you know what i mean? only you would do that. i love reading your blog though, and your pictures are fantastic. what's your email address.... grachel? ucdavis.edu? gmail.com? let me know so i can drop you an email bomb. love you and keep the blogs coming. love erin
29th September 2005

tripper
go trip out at the tate modern..it's pretty cool...look for "four seasons" by Cy Twolby...that guy is a tripper
29th September 2005

More museums abound
Glad to hear your checkin; out the cultural scene. Got the thr British Museum for a free look at the Rosetta Stone and the largest collection of Egyptian antiquity outside of Africa. Also, all that Dali stuff is in a dali sculpture musuem near "The Eye". Finally, get some schwarma at Picadilly, it's some of the greatest, greasiest grub on the planet...Cheers!
30th September 2005

these emails are really great... i feel like you never left and at the same time are really getting a great taste of English life. continue to expand your horizons! and as for jayne, she's a cutie... but let her know that she's got some hot cocoa competition back in the U.S.!
30th September 2005

Good insights from Mr. Chods
Your writing style reminds me of the infamous Pico Iyer who has written extensively about such extraordinary places as Katmandu, Bangkok, Ubud, and Japan? Have you ever had the pleasure of visiting these places Mr. Chods?

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 89; dbt: 0.1473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb