Day on our own in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » London City
July 13th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Changing of the Guard (1 of 4)Changing of the Guard (1 of 4)Changing of the Guard (1 of 4)

Buckingham Palace 11am changing of the guard.

London ala carte! A day on our own.


We got up early and headed down the street to the "Muffin Man" for an English breakfast that was very good before taking a taxi to Buckingham Palace for the "changing of the guard".

Security was evident everywhere, as you can expect, and the crowds were big. We did our best to take pictures and film the action. The sound was fantastic. We came away with a sense of accomplishment and pride that we choose not to change our tour plans in London given the recent events - that would be just what they wanted us to do so we pressed on.

We stopped to take a picture of the Princess Diana memorial walk emblem placed in the sidewalk adjacent to Buckingham Palace then down the street to the museum of the Royal Guard. Associated with this museum was a shop of British toy soliders that was hard to fathom, unbelievable!

We then took off for the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey and lunch at an English Pub. We walked down to 10 Downing Street, but alas, you cannot go there anymore since 2005. The British version of the
Changing of the Guard (2 of 4)Changing of the Guard (2 of 4)Changing of the Guard (2 of 4)

Buckingham Palace 11am changing of the guard.
US Patriot Act has blocked that street from access. The guards were serious and packing heavy artillery - another sign of our times.

We moved on to Big Ben and the new "Eye" of London - a gondola ferris wheel before calling it a day and heading back to the Hotel for drinks and preparation for departure Sunday morning back to the US were we need to prepare our Duty Tax planning and prep for US Customs - we expect many questions, an extensive conversation and also the relinquishing of many dollars to cover the US Duty Tax on the items we purchased during the trip.

Tomorrow, our last bus tour to the English countryside then off to Heathrow early Sunday morning to start our journey home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Changing of the Guard (3 of 4)Changing of the Guard (3 of 4)
Changing of the Guard (3 of 4)

Buckingham Palace 11am changing of the guard.
Changing of the Guard (4 of 4)Changing of the Guard (4 of 4)
Changing of the Guard (4 of 4)

Buckingham Palace 11am changing of the guard.
Princess Diana Memorial Walk emblemPrincess Diana Memorial Walk emblem
Princess Diana Memorial Walk emblem

Embedded in the sidewalk near Buckingham Palace.
Ginny in LondonGinny in London
Ginny in London

On the Thames River.
John in LondonJohn in London
John in London

On the Thames River.
Lunch in an English PubLunch in an English Pub
Lunch in an English Pub

Timeout for lunch and a pint!
10 Downing Street (1 of 3)10 Downing Street (1 of 3)
10 Downing Street (1 of 3)

Since 9/11 you can no longer walk past the government home of the English Prime Minister.
Big BenBig Ben
Big Ben

Note all the cameras - London is the city with the most video of any in the world.


13th July 2007

Windsor
If you travel to Windsor stroll the "King's Long Walk" and take a picture of the the castle from the Copper Horse. Then have a pint at the Donkey House in Eton. Frank

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb