Travel day to London


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Travel Day - Paris to London via Eurostar high speed train through the Chunnel


We said goodbye to Paris, France and hello to London, England by way of the Eurostar train. Had an (interesting?) meal - don't ask - and some great French wine to see us through. At the highest speed we were moving nearly 180 kph (about 110 mph), pretty fast for a train.

We gained (or lost depending on your point of view!) another hour moving from Paris to London.

The UK Eurostar was the first train we have traveled on that screened all of our baggage. Not surprising given all the recent activity. Loading and unloading all your own baggage is an art form and we have it down pretty good - regardless, it is more difficult than air travel which is much easier.

We snapped a few photos during the cab drive to the hotel from the train station. We have a tour booked for Saturday that will take us out into the English countryside to Stonehenge and Bath (Roman Baths) plus a tour of Windsor Castle.

We found a good English Pub not far from our hotel - the Britannia- for drinks and food then tracked down a remarkable Whole Foods market (two floors with an escalator!) to grab some food for the fridge back at the hotel.

Tomorrow we will sleep in a bit then head out via The Tube (subway) into London to track down the top tourist spots. We will then taxi around as needed to get about and cover the city.

Sunday, we head for home. Still a 50/50 chance that we can clear customs in Chicago in time to make our flights back to LA. We will see if we make it home for dinner!

Special note to Alanna: We will call you and let you know what is happening with our travel schedule on Sunday as soon as we know how the day shakes out. We may need you to stay with Rusty Sunday night if United Airlines cannot get us home until Monday. Wish us luck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Eurostar from Paris-to-LondonEurostar from Paris-to-London
Eurostar from Paris-to-London

John on the bullet train to London.


12th July 2007

I have enjoyed reading and following you on your trip of a life time. You both look great! Love, Nance

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb