Day Ten - The Pocono Hillbillies Take London


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Knightsbridge
January 2nd 2010
Published: September 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Taking a page from the Amazing Race today we would be racing across the country dragging our suitcases behind us as we switched modes of transport time and time again. To fuel or frenzy we started with yet another marvelous full English breakfast. No need to detail our orders as we pretty much decided on the same stuff every day. While we waited for Cassie to pack-up and perform her morning a... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Soon to Becfome Our Favorite StandSoon to Becfome Our Favorite Stand
Soon to Becfome Our Favorite Stand

We stood in front of this turkey/pork sandwich stand enjoying the smells and marvelling at the huge portions being doled out before Tyler and I decided to get our own heaping portions. It turned out that the people here weren't Germans like everyone else at the market, but Welsh farmers looking to make a few quid during the dormant winter at the farm.
A Very Creepy MannequinA Very Creepy Mannequin
A Very Creepy Mannequin

That wierd looking dummy in the Bavarian outfit was the only objectionable thing about the fair. He would sway back and forth like a jack-in-the-box chortling away in fits of laughter. (I just noticed that the girl in this picture looks like Gen at first glance. Too bad she was at home working while Tyler was busy with German food in London)
More Creepiness More Creepiness
More Creepiness

At the same funhouse this Adolf Hitler lookalike mannequin stared down at everyone walking by.
We Are Going NutsWe Are Going Nuts
We Are Going Nuts

Maybe my favorite treat at genuine German Christmas Markets are the sugar coated almonds whose smell permeates the entire venue. When I smelled them roasting here in the Hyde Park carnival I was lured over to this huge nut stand. I finished off my night of over-endulging with a bag of sugar coated almonds.
So Many ChoicesSo Many Choices
So Many Choices

They were closing up for the night so I hung around a bit hoping for some freebies, but none were forthcoming. This was also the warmest place we found in the open air market.
Who Actually Goes on These Rides?Who Actually Goes on These Rides?
Who Actually Goes on These Rides?

Just like back home in the States, the acrnies operating these amusement rides are a scary bunch of people. Why would anyone trust their life to some guy with no teeth, greasy hair and a 7th grade education? At least you can't get too messed-up in a funhouse, can you?
Enticing LeftoversEnticing Leftovers
Enticing Leftovers

It doesn't exactly look very appetizing after probably sitting out for hours, but it really smelled great and the prices were pretty reasonable for London. Maybe if we returned the next and final night I might have a Schnitzel.
Right Out of the Pages of Nat GeoRight Out of the Pages of Nat Geo
Right Out of the Pages of Nat Geo

Walking back to our hotel we were fascinated by how busy things were in Knightsbridge. I was hoping my fancy suite had plenty of sound-proofing. Along the way back I decided to attempt a technique often employed in National Geographic magazine - the night shot with blurry headlights effect. Of about 20 shots I took, this one came out the best.
And This One Came Out the WorstAnd This One Came Out the Worst
And This One Came Out the Worst

Yet even though nothing came out in this picture, the colors are still pretty cool. It's a keeper in my book.
Night View of the Mandarin OrientalNight View of the Mandarin Oriental
Night View of the Mandarin Oriental

We were on the wrong side of the very busy street to take a picture of the actual entrance with the dueling doormen, but even from this angle our flash hotel was impressive.
While You Were Out, Mr. LundWhile You Were Out, Mr. Lund
While You Were Out, Mr. Lund

Surprise! When I went back up to my room I was happy to see my toilet paper refolded and these nifty slippers laid out for me right in front of the bed. The bedspread was put away, the sheets peeled back and a big tray with goodies put out on the bed.
The Goodie TrayThe Goodie Tray
The Goodie Tray

A closer look at the wooden tray on my bed revealed seemed fancy bath soap and oil, bags for my shoes (if I wanted to pay to have them polished) and dirty clothes, a card with the next day's weather report and that big black leather case. I was expecting a complimentary Rolex inside the impressive box, but it turned out to be an immense remote control for my big screen TV.
Add a Bottle of Water for Each Night TableAdd a Bottle of Water for Each Night Table
Add a Bottle of Water for Each Night Table

The maid must've been quite busy while we were gone. She had also brought in a couple of bottles of water for me in addition to fixing the bed, refolding the tp and even re-arranging the stuff I had tossed on the sofa. It was like having a mom to clean up after me.
Going Through My DrawersGoing Through My Drawers
Going Through My Drawers

Next to the TV were a series of cabinets that I now decided to explore. In the top drawer was this Teddy bear, assorted nuts and chips, a toy double decker bus and even golf balls. All could be had for a price. A substantial one I'm sure.
The Booze DrawerThe Booze Drawer
The Booze Drawer

This one was rather sparse if you ask me. Plenty of room for more booze. I bet when the celebs stay in this room this drawer is stocked quite differently.
I Should've Stuffed a Couple of These in My SuitcaseI Should've Stuffed a Couple of These in My Suitcase
I Should've Stuffed a Couple of These in My Suitcase

I was tempted by the wealth of stuff hidden all over my room, but I only took what I assumed they wouldn't mind me taking - soap, shampoo, a couple of pens, a pad of paper and the bookmark my maid so kindly slipped into the book I left on the coffee table. I was very impressed with the hotel s fancy 2011 calendar and stuffed one into my suitcase the first night. The next day another one was back on top of the desk. And each day I took one. When I got home I had four nice 2011 desk calandars. I think that was pretty much the extent of our souvenir shopping in London.
A Well-Stocked IceboxA Well-Stocked Icebox
A Well-Stocked Icebox

I was careful not to touch even a single item inside lest I trigger something at the front desk and generate a £50 charge to my room.
Self PortraitSelf Portrait
Self Portrait

I was dieing to take a bath in that giant tube with all the fancy bath salts. It was the perfect way to warm-up after enduring the cold out in the park. When I got out of the tube I had to try on one of those plush bathrobes. Got to get my money's worth don't you know.



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb