Excursion to Kew Gardens


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kew
October 14th 2012
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The recent advertisement by David Nash at Kew had really attracted us and we decided to visit there on 9 October 2012.



The last time I visited Kew Gardens was June 2010 when I showed two of my mother’s friends in London. I told Mark that several new attractions had been added to Kew Garden and admission fees had been raised.



Mark is a very generous man. He treated me to the Kew Garden paying £16 each for the admissions which included the Gift aid to support the conservation work for Kew Gardens on 9 October.



Exploring in the parkland in the mid autumn, we saw a number of trees’ foliage turning their colours, e.g. brownish, yellow, red and purple and starting to fall on the ground. We saw myriads of purple crocuses blooming on the foot of the trees here and there.



We walked around the Davies Alpine House and rock gardens, Grass Garden, and Duke’s Garden in the morning. Various types of flowers, succulents, and grasses were thriving on the rocks and flowerbeds. We also spotted David Nash’s sculptures around the Conservatory.



After the lunch, we headed for the Treetop Walk, one of the attractions which has been built recently. The stairs led us to the walkway built on the same height as chestnut trees, and it allowed us to hear a number of birds singing in the close distance. Mark spotted a green parakeet stopping on the top of the branches. I managed to take a photo. Chestnut trees, maples had displayed their autumn coloured leaves, and they looked very beautiful. We overlooked the grounds of Kew Garden and Temperate House and saw the Wembley Stadium beyond.



Next, we headed to Sackler Crossing, which bridge had been built on the lake. A wide variety of waterfowls, e.g. geese, ducks, drakes, ducklings, and swans were swimming in the lake or flocking around the bank of the lake.



We walked to the viewpoint of Syon House along the Thames and the Pagoda via vista. After seeing the Pagoda, we walked eastwards. There were a number of David Nash’s sculptures around the Temperate House and inside of the Temperate House. Like Henry Moore’s sculptures, they really stood out well with parklands. All of the displayed sculptures were made out of elms, redwoods, maples, and oaks and designed in various types of features, e.g. king & queen, plant’s seed. They were truly inspirational and made the collections of plants at Temperate House and parklands even more attractive.



We looked round the Shirley Sherwood Gallery and Marianne North Gallery as well.



We really enjoyed exploring the Kew Gardens on 9 October.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb