A Last Day in London for the 10-Year-Olds


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Kensington
June 26th 2023
Published: June 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

One last day for this trip, before flying back to the states, and what a wonderful trip it has been.

I’d tried to get tickets for Harry Potter but couldn’t so we planned the next best thing, High Tea at Kensington Palace. Both boys love High Tea and where better than at a real palace.

It was Bank Day so everyone was out and about!

We started out by walking to Buckingham Palace so the boys could see where the king lives (or is supposed to live) and where the queen lived. We didn’t see the changing of the guard, nor did King Charles come out to wave at us, but we did walk along the bicycle race where people were riding for a cause. I’ve already forgotten the cause, but lots of people were riding on all sorts of bikes and even scooters, some with boom boxes and some with racing bikes.

The boys had more fun climbing the sculpture of Queen Victoria, along with lots of other people, and they did achieve their goal of climbing in the boat.

We then walked to Hamley’s, a 5-story toy store, with every toy possible. They have various toy demonstrations going on so there is lots of stuff, lots of action, lots of buzz. The boys got caught up with the remote-control cars. We didn’t even really get to see everything on the top floor but just as well, as we got out with our credit cards intact.

I thought we had to get across the city to Kensington Palace by 2pm and it was 1-hour away by foot so this was the perfect time to ride the double-decker bus. We were able to catch it just as it was starting its route so we all got upstairs, front row seats. Boys thought that they were hot stuff.

Well getting to Kensington was more complicated as Google led us down a road next to the one to the palace. I didn’t catch it until we were about ½ way down the street, so we had to go back to the main road and take the next street. By the time we got to Kensington we were late but I wasn’t too worried about the tea.

As it turned out, our tea was set for 4pm, we were really early, but there were lots of tables available. The tea was everything we’d hoped. Dale and I had champagne, then tea while each boy had 2 pots of tea. We left fat and happy.

What a trip!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.682s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.3066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb