Greenwich, United Kingdom - Day Three, Sunday, April 3, 2011


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Greenwich
April 3rd 2011
Published: April 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Karen: Today is Mother's Day in England, and I received a lovely red rose at breakfast in honor of my motherhood. But I did notice that none of my children bothered to send me a card on UK Mother's Day!

Malcolm: Breakfast at the hotel is excellent. It is actually a champagne breakfast. We have not really partaken in the champagne, but we know a lady who did. One of our fellow guests was gassed on breakfast champagne before 9:00 a.m. Seriously, the woman could barely walk (but when she did walk, she was heading back for more bubbly).

Karen: On the way to the Tube Station this morning, we dropped Allison's Roberto Cavalli Tee--Shirt in the mail. Ed don't worry, we insured the package.

Malcolm: First thing this morning we grabbed the boat down to Greenwich. About an hour and a half trip on the River Themes. Weather on the way down to Greenwich was beautiful. Warm and sunny.

Karen: Upon arrival in Greenwich, we visited the Royal Navy War College. A stunningly beautiful structure designed by Christopher Wren. We really enjoyed the "Painted Hall," and the "Chapel."

Malcolm: After the Navel War College, we
Karen and Mal at Queen Anne's HouseKaren and Mal at Queen Anne's HouseKaren and Mal at Queen Anne's House

Remember to buy Cooperative Ready Salted Potato Crisps
prepared ourselves for the hike up the hill to the Royal Observatory, home of Prime Meridian and Greenwich Mean Time (for those of you that are confused at this point, please call our military expert Scott who will fill you in on Greenwich Mean Time). The hike was steeper than we anticipated.

Karen: It was like hiking up Vail. It was not pretty, but we made it. And then it was pretty. Amazing vistas of the river and London to west.

Malcolm: Those of you who have been following the Blog, have already figured out that JJF's tour guide skills are to say the least "flawed." Today we reached the top of Mount Greenwich only to discover that admission is now being charged at the formerly "free" Greenwich Observatory. Those of you who know me, know that I objected on principal to paying the extortionate ten pound fee. But, Karen made me pay it. (But at least there was a senior discount).

Karen: I was so mad at Malcolm. I did not even want to be near him. So, I made him go stand in a separate hemisphere. I stayed in the Western hemisphere, and made him
Karen and Mal in Greenwich ParkKaren and Mal in Greenwich ParkKaren and Mal in Greenwich Park

Just before we climb up hill to Royal Observatory
go stand in the eastern hemisphere.

Malcolm: After we descended from the Royal Observatory, we had lunch at the Greenwich Tavern. After lunch, we got back on the boat, but the weather changed. The trip back to London was considerably "chillier" than the morning cruise.

Karen: We are back at the hotel for a short break (it will surprise you not at all that Malcolm and Jeff are having beers). Then we are off to see Piccadilly Circus and Leister Square at night. We will blog on this later.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Karen in West, Malcolm in EastKaren in West, Malcolm in East
Karen in West, Malcolm in East

Karen and Mal standing on opposite sides of Prime Meridian


4th April 2011

Looks like fun!
Wow, you all have been busy!! Sounds like you are having a great time so far. And Happy UK Mom's Day Karen!! :) We just had a hail storm here, golf ball sized hail! Have never seen anything like it, sounded like a train coming through. Very scary, thought our skylight was going to break. Chipper jumped up on Hailey's bed with her and stood over her. He was protecting her! I have pics up on my FB page. There will be a lot of damage to cars and roofs. Middleton got the worst of it. Chipper is being a very good dog. He is no trouble at all. We can let him out and he stays right by us. The kids love having him. He has been sleeping on Hailey's floor. :) Everything else is good here and we are so glad you are having a fun trip so far! We will show the kids your pics tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more in the days to come!! Love you!!
4th April 2011

blog check in
Greetings from Madison! All well here! Blog is awesome! Let me know if you get this!

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb