So Aussies really DO drink Fosters?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Clapham
January 27th 2007
Published: February 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Team AussieTeam AussieTeam Aussie

Well, yes, Aussies sometimes drink Fosters, but only when there is no time to get any better beers
Despite largely missing out on Australia Day celebrations on the actual day due to travel back from St Anton to London (although Caps did manage to wear her Australian flag bandanna for the entire journey - a great effort!!), we still managed to celebrate in style on 27 Jan back at chez Clapham (much better than a crowded, yobbo filled evening at the Shepard's Bush Walkabout).
(Nearly) all the elements were present - the sun (the warmth, not so much - although, I know, I know; it was unseasonably warm for this time of year), snags on the BBQ (obviously not for me); great Aussie hits on the radio (although not quite the 'Hottest 100'); Aussie beer (to the extent that Fosters qualifies, but even if it doesn't someone managed to dig up some Boags, which then had to be fiercely guarded) and wine; lots of green and gold (even worn by some non-Aussies, including one New Zealander - surely nearly enough to get them deported?); treats from home (ANZAC biscuits and violet crumble - thanks mum!) and, of course, the obligatory game of street cricket. There was even a bit of 'clucha' with a recital of 'The Man from Snowy River' and 'Green & Gold Maleria'.

It is not clear whether I live in one of the safest or most dangerous neighbourhoods in London, but during our cricket game 4 police cars went slowly past. Luckily, they did not seem to have a problem with us taking over the street (at least until we told them we were re-enacting the Ashes, whereupon they quickly shut the game down .... OK that might be a bit of a fib, but they didn't like it!!).

The Australia Day party was also where I said goodbye to Caps and Tan as they headed back home. Obviously, that was a sad event (and I am still getting over my 'post visitors depression') but, on the plus side, maybe now I can finally get some sleep!

Thinking of you all at home - HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

HeHe
He

And, yes - he wore the boardies and thongs (sorry 'flip flops') on the tube, although with a jumper
The CCKThe CCK
The CCK

Chubbs, Caps and KWS
This is the last goodbyeThis is the last goodbye
This is the last goodbye

before Caps and Tan leave the Australia Day celebrations and head back to OZ


Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 88; dbt: 0.1729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb