Chapter 3 - DAY 14 - London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Bayswater
September 6th 2011
Published: September 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

HeathrowHeathrowHeathrow

Getting organised for the Heathrow Express back into town
LAST DAY IN LONDON
Today was our first not so good day since we left home – not so bad considering we are 40 odd days into our big adventure.
It all started badly when I put my back out getting dressed so I was in a fair bit of pain. We couldn’t do much immediately as we had to get the rental car back to Heathrow by 10.30am to avoid being charged for an extra day. So it was into the car and into the early morning traffic.

Between us and Heathrow stood the roundabout from HELL! True to form we ended up in the wrong lane and had to double back through the Beast again – somehow it spat us out the other side in the right lane to head towards the M4 and Heathrow. At this point I think we were quite close to Chiswick (where Leah lives) except we turned right towards the airport. Luckily it was plain sailing from there until Heathrow – sadly this did no more than lull us into a false sense of security. It took us forever (in reality probably 20 minutes) to find the rental car drop off area. This
Darlington Hyde ParkDarlington Hyde ParkDarlington Hyde Park

Our upgraded room for our last night at the Darlington
involved doing two ‘laps’ through the heart of airport parking, a pretty messy place to try and find your way around – it was third time lucky! Thank God for that!

Sore back and stressed to the max –all before lunch! From there things improved markedly, we jumped on the Heathrow Express to Paddington and our home away from home the Darlington. They had upgraded us to a much bigger room which was very nice of them. We also managed to get into an Osteopath nearby to sort my back out-she did a good job – big ask because we are sitting on our coach for long periods over the next month – but so far so good.

While we were waiting to get into the Osteopath I went to my favourite hairdresser for another one of his special haircuts – very relaxing. They also did Jeanette’s eyebrows for free while she waited.

We headed off for an early tea at the Victoria – our last before turning in for an early night as we had to be at the Thistle Marble Arch at 5.30am to leave on our big European heritage Tour.

We’ve had a great time so far and are really excited about starting the European Leg of our trip. Below is our itinerary, its full on but does have 3 night Greek island Cruise in the middle to break it up. Its all going to be totally different for us, non English speaking countries, different lifestyles..can't wait.

EUROPEAN HERITAGE ITINERARY

Day 1 - LONDON – AMSTERDAM
After a warm welcome from your Tour Director, drive to Dover. Admire the white cliffs on the channel crossing to France. Continue through Belgian countryside on your way to Amsterdam where you enjoy a Welcome Reception with drink and a light meal, followed by time to relax and explore.

Day 2 - AMSTERDAM SIGHTSEEING
Cross Dam Square and pass the Royal Palace to see diamonds being cut and polished. This afternoon, you can choose between time at leisure to visit the Rijksmuseum or the Anne Frank House, or join an included drive through typical Dutch countryside.

Day 3 - AMSTERDAM – HEIDELBERG
Past the ‘Bridge Too Far’ at Arnhem before crossing the German border and heading to the scenic Rhine Gorge. Explore the wine village of Boppard before joining a relaxing Rhine cruise past half-timbered villages and turreted castles perched high above terraced vineyards. Hear about the Siren of the Loreley Rock then continue to Heidelberg.

Day 4 - HEIDELBERG – INNSBRUCK
Drive south into the Bavarian Alps to see King Ludwig’s Neuschwanstein Castle. Then take a scenic alpine drive through the mountains into Austria. Arrive at the beautiful city of Innsbruck where you walk through the Old Town to see the Golden Roof.

Day 5 - INNSBRUCK – SALZBURG – VIENNA
Make your way to Salzburg ‘alive with the Sound of Music’. Walk with your guide through the Mirabell Gardens and see Mozart’s birthplace and the Cathedral. Later, drive along the Danube Valley passing Melk Abbey to stately Veinna

Day 6 - VIENNA SIGHTSEEING
Join a local guide for a tour of Schönbrunn Palace, full of frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers, mirrors and ornaments. Your guided city tour continues around the Ring Road, seeing the Parliament, Winter Palace and Opera House. The afternoon is at leisure.

Day 7 - VIENNA – ZAGREB
Drive through Styria’s forested mountains and over the Slovenian border to Maribor. Follow the Drava River to Croatia and its capital of Zagreb. On a guided tour, see the green squares of the modern Lower Town. Then move on to the medieval Upper Town, with its Presidential Palace, Stone Gate, St. Marks Church and Pope’s Tower.

Day 8 - ZAGREB – PLITVICE NATIONAL PARK
Time at leisure this morning. Maybe take an optional excursion to Tito’s home town of Kumrovec before departing for one of Europe’s finest natural wonders.

Day 9 - PLITVICE NATIONAL PARK – SPLIT
Tour Plitvice Lakes National Park. Visit Korana Canyon to see the falls and Tomicevo Pogledalo for views over the park. Drive on to the Dalmatian coast, and admire the cathedral and Renaissance Cipiko Palace in Trogir before continuing to Split

Day 10 - SPLIT – DUBROVNIK
Some 1700 years ago, the Roman Emperor Diocletian built his palace here; with your guide today explore the streets and buildings within that same palace. Venture into the underground rooms thought to have housed his slaves. Drive along the sun drenched coast to Dubrovnik.

Day 11 - DUBROVNIK SIGHTSEEING
A guided sightseeing tour in the Old Town explores the stone-paved streets inside the 16th century bastions. See Onofrio’s fountain and the Rector’s Palace, the city walls, as well as the Franciscan and Dominican monasteries. The afternoon is at leisure – maybe take a sunset cruise this evening?

Day 12 - DUBROVNIK – KOTOR – TIRANA
Over the border, visit the old town of Kotor, perched beside the only European fjord outside of Norway. Continue through the spectacular scenery of Montenegro. Then cross into the mysterious emerging country of Albania and stay in the capital of Tirana.

Day 13 - TIRANA – IOANNINA
Head south through the spectacular scenery to the northern mountainous region of Greece and the pretty resort of Ioannina, built on the bank of Lake Pamvotis.

Day 14 - IOANNINA – ATHENS
Take a scenic drive to the ancient Greek capital. Your luxury hotel ideally situated in the heart of Athens and is a member of The Leading Hotels of the World.

Day 15 - ATHENS SIGHTSEEING
Join a local guide this morning for your Athens sightseeing tour. Enjoy glory in abundance, from the Parthenon and Acropolis to the Temple of Zeus, the Temple of the Wingless Victory and Hadrian’s Arch. The afternoon is at leisure to explore at your own pace.

Day 16 - CRUISING – MYKONOS
Board your cruise ship and set sail for the Cyclades. Arrive early evening at the island of Mykonos. The narrow lanes of the town were originally built to discourage the wind and pirates! Tonight they’re yours to explore.

Day 17 - CRUISING – KUSADASI & PATMOS
Dock at the Turkish port of Kusadasi, where you can explore the bazaar or perhaps visit the extensive ruins of ancient Ephesus. Next call in at the island of Patmos, where St. John wrote the book of Revelations in the celebrated Grotto of the Apocalypse. Tonight enjoy a Greek Evening and Dinner with entertainment.

Day 18 - CRUISING – SANTORINI
Arrive beneath the sheer cliffs of Santorini in the cool of early morning. Then you have a full day to experience the island’s cliff top restaurants and cafes, breathtaking views, white cuboid houses, ancient ruins and black volcanic sandy beaches. Set sail this evening as the sun silhouettes the islands

Day 19 - ATHENS – OVERNIGHT BOAT
Disembark your cruise in Athens this morning. Time to explore the markets of the Plaka before crossing the amazing Corinth Canal to the Peloponnese region of Greece. At the port of Patras board your comfortable overnight ferry bound for Italy.

Day 20 - OVERNIGHT BOAT – SORRENTO
A leisurely departure from Ancona and cross the Apennines to the west coast and beautiful cliff-top resort of Sorrento. Arrive early evening with time to explore and savour the views over the Gulf of Naples.

Day 21 - CAPRI EXCURSION
Cruise to the magical island of Capri. Weather permitting, ascend to Capri town by open top taxi for a guided tour. Browse in the exclusive boutiques before descending to the port by funicular. Back in Sorrento visit the lively Piazza Tasso to watch the art of ‘intarsio’ wood inlaying. Maybe explore the famous Amalfi Coast?

Day 22 - SORRENTO – POMPEII – ROME
Drive to the Roman town of Pompeii, buried by an eruption of Vesuvius in 79AD. Your local guide leads you through the cobbled streets, shops, villas and temples bringing to life the plight of the ill-fated citizens. Then it’s on to Rome.

Day 23 - ROME SIGHTSEEING
With a local guide, visit the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. Then see Michelangelo’s ‘Pieta’ inside St Peter’s Basilica. Cross the River Tiber to visit the massive Colosseum and look out over the Roman Forum. You are at leisure this afternoon.

Day 24 - ROME – VENICE
Today past the hill-towns of Umbria, on through Tuscany and Apennine Mountains to the Veneto plains. Soon you arrive in the magical city of Venice.

Day 25 - VENICE SIGHTSEEING
Cruise down the canal to St.Mark’s Square and alight to see the Bridge of Sighs which connects the Doges’ Palace to the prisons. In the square, see the bell tower, the beautiful mosaics of St. Mark’s Basilica and the Clock Tower. After a demonstration of Venetian glass blowing, board a gondola for a serenade through the romantic canals accompanied by musicians. The afternoon is at leisure.

Day 26 - VENICE – FLORENCE
Drive past the mansions of Venetian nobility that line the Brenta Canal. On approach into Tuscany, hear about the famous chianti wine which comes from this region. Enjoy the sweeping view of the Florence skyline from Piazzale Michelangelo before reaching your hotel.

Day 27 - FLORENCE SIGHTSEEING
Visit the Academy Museum with a local guide to see Michelangelo’s original ‘David’, then walk to the Cathedral and Baptistry, where Ghiberti’s ‘Gates of Paradise’ have been recreated in all their glory. Last stop is Signoria Square, political heart of the city and now an open air gallery of sculpture. After a demonstration of traditional leather work, the rest of the day is at leisure.

Day 28 - FLORENCE – PISA – MONACO – NICE
Lend your support to the Leaning Tower of Pisa before following the Italian Riviera coast to France. Stop in Monaco to see its harbour, Monte Carlo Casino and drive the Grand Prix circuit before continuing to elegant Nice.

Day 29 - NICE AT LEISURE
Relax and enjoy a day on the legendary Cote D’Azur. This lovely town is enchanting France at it’s very best. Take a stroll along the fabled Promenade des Anglais, walk through the shady gardens or relax on the beach. Browse in the exclusive boutiques or perhaps consider an optional excursion to other parts of the Riviera.

Day 30 - NICE – LUCERNE
Visit a local French perfumery before passing through the Italian Lake District into the scenic Swiss Alps. Stay tonight in the beautiful 14C city of Lucerne.

Day 31 - LUCERNE SIGHTSEEING
Ascend Mount Pilatus by cog-wheel railway for stunning views of the Swiss Alps. Back in Lucerne, see the sorrowful Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and covered Chapel Bridge before some free time to shop for watches or delicious chocolate. For your dining pleasure tonight, choose from our selected restaurants.

Day 32 - LUCERNE – PARIS
Drive to Basel before crossing the Rhine to enter France. Travel through the wine-growing Burgundy region to Paris. This evening enjoy good food, wine and company at an end-of-tour Celebration Dinner in a Parisian bistro.

Day 33 - PARIS SIGHTSEEING
Museum. See the Mona Lisa and many more priceless works amassed over the ages by the Kings of France. Sightseeing continues past Garnier’s splendid Opera House. See the obelisk in the centre of the Place de la Concorde and drive along the grand Champs Élysées to the Arc de Triomphe. Now survey the city from the heights of the Eiffel Tower. The afternoon is at leisure.

Day 34 - PARIS – LONDON
Cross the World War One battlefields of the Somme to arrive at the port of Calais for your return Channel crossing to Dover. Continue to London, where your tour comes to an end.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb