Catching our breath in London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London » Bayswater
May 25th 2006
Published: May 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We enjoyed Portsmouth so much, that we extended our stay an extra day. It was fascinating to walk along the streets that my forebearers, and current relatives, walked and to see the Portsmouth harbour.
We found out that my family loves to party and visited pubs, restaurants and were entertained in their homes. Too much fun. Visited Porchchester castle, built by the Romans in the 10th century and added on to by the Normans and then the Saxons much later. It is the most complete example of a Roman wall in existance in all of Northern Europe. Brian was amazed to be handling rock that was originally set in place by a roman a thousand years ago and found one on the ground to bring home.
Travelled to London via rail which was uneventful and headed into the hustle and bustle of London. Our first intro to the London cab was a long queue and then an even longer ride through congested streets to our lodgings.
Looking at the map afterward left us wondering if the cabby had taken the wrong route, but alas, we don't know.
There is fantastic architecture and a mix of old and new.
The double decker buses are better than a carnival ride and a one day pass will take you off and on buses all day and night. The streets of London are full, FULL beyond belief with people and cars hurrying along. Well at least the people hurry along!
We learned very quickly that pedestrians do not have the right of way!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Portsmouth 2Portsmouth 2
Portsmouth 2

One of the many old English pubs much like the one we had our first pint at! Nice welcome given to us by the Grady boys!


26th May 2006

Fantastic Pictures
Any chance of putting names to the faces????
26th May 2006

You're wasting NO time!
Wow! You guys are on a mission. I can't believe what you have seen in a few days. Great pics and commentary. Are you getting any sleep??? Wish I had a London layover while you are there but look forward to hearing about it all later. Cheers, Bev
27th May 2006

lookin good
Hi guys, a few days in and your both looking wide awake...impressive! Have Fun!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb