Harlow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Essex » Harlow
March 10th 2013
Published: March 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

water gardens water gardens water gardens

has some good shops tk max mattaland asda's new look river island Jd sports top shop - has some lovely coffee shops and top name restaurants nando's pizza hut and frankie and benny's
I know what your all thinking for people that know Harlow as a area well they are probbley thinking why the hell is she reviewing and writting a blog about her experiances about that place but in fact harlow actually has some hidden gems in there area. Harlow is has a new town and a old town parts and local government district in Essex, England. It is located in the west of the county and on the border with Hertfordshire, on the Stort Valley, The town is near the M11 motorway and forms part of the London commuter belt.The district has a current population of 78,889 (2010 estimate).

The earliest deposits are of a Mesolithic (circa 10,000 BC) hunting camp excavated by Davey in Northbrooks in the 1970s(Unpublished) closely followed by the large and unexcavated deposits of Neolithic flint located at Gilden Way. These deposits are mostly known of due to the large numbers of surface bound worked flint ; indeed there is substanital amounts to speculate on organised working of flint in the area. Large amounts of debetage litter the area and tools found include Axeheads, hammers, blades, dowles and other boring tools and multipuprpose flints such as scrapers. An organised Field Walk in the late 1990s by Bartlett(Unpublished)indicates that most of the area, some 80 hectares, produces worked flint from the Neolithic to the Bronze Age with a smattering of Mesolithic ; so basically it indicates organised industry from 5000 BC to 2000 BC. Indeed the deposits are so large and dispersed that any major archaeological work in the area will have to take this into consideration before any ground work is started.

The original village, mentioned in the Norman Domesday Book, developed as a typical rural community around what is now known as Old Harlow, with many of its buildings still standing.The entry in the Domesday Book reads: Herlaua: St Edmunds Abbey before and after 1066; Geoffrey from Count Eustace; Thorgils from Eudo the Steward; Richard from Ranulf, brother of Ilger. Mill, 7 beehives, 8 cobs, 43 cattle, 3 foals.The new town was built after World War II to ease overcrowding in London at the same time as the similar orbital developments of Basildon, Stevenage, and Hemel Hempstead. The master plan for the new town was drawn up in 1947 by Sir Frederick Gibberd. The development incorporated the market town of Harlow, now a neighbourhood known as Old Harlow, and the villages of Great Parndon, Latton, Tye Green, Potter Street, Churchgate Street, Little Parndon, and Netteswell. The town is divided into neighbourhoods, each self-supporting with their own shopping precincts, community facilities and pub. Gibberd invited many of the country's leading post-war architects to design buildings in the town, including Philip Powell and Hidalgo Moya, Leonard Manasseh, Michael Neylan, E C P Monson, Gerard Goalen, Maxwell Fry, Jane Drew, Graham Dawbarn, H. T. Cadbury-Brownand William Crabtree. Harlow has one of the most extensive cycle track networks in the country, connecting all areas of the town to the town centre and industrial areas. The cycle network is composed mostly of the original old town roads.The town is notable being the location of Britain's first pedestrian precinct, and first modern-style residential tower block, The Lawn, constructed in 1951; it is now a Grade II listed building. Gibberd's tromp-l'oeil terrace in Orchard Croft and Dawbarn's maisonette blocks at Pennymead are also notable, as is Michael Neylan's pioneering development at Bishopsfield. The first neighbourhood, Mark Hall, is a conservation area. From 1894 to 1955, the Harlow parish formed part of the Epping Rural District of Essex. From 1955 to 1974, Harlow was an urban district.

The town centre, and many of its neighbourhood shopping facilities have undergone major redevelopment, along with many of the town's original buildings. Subsequently, many of the original town buildings, including most of its health centres, the Staple Tye shopping centre, and many industrial units have been rebuilt. GIbberd's original town hall, a landmark in the town, has been demolished and replaced by a new civic centre and shopping area. The town has already experienced expansion. The first of which was the "mini expansion" that was created by the building of the Sumners and Katherines estates in the mid to late seventies to the west of the existing town. Since then Harlow has further expanded with the Church Langley estate completed in 2005, and its newest neighbourhood Newhallhas almost completed the first stage of its development, with the second stage to commence in 2013. The Harlow Gateway Scheme is currently underway, with the relocation of the Harlow Football Stadium to Barrow's Farm in early 2006, and the building of a new hotel, apartments, and a restaurant adjacent to the railway station being complete. The next stage of this scheme involves the completion of the 530 eco-homes being built on the former sports centre site, and the centre's relocation to the nearby former college playing field site.



Harlow is served by two railway stations, Harlow Town railway station and
only way is essex star Mr Darcy only way is essex star Mr Darcy only way is essex star Mr Darcy

that belonged to TOWIE star Lydia Bright brought by ex boyfriend and co host james arg argent. now at harlow town park pet corner.
Harlow Mill railway station. There is also a bus service to Epping tube station on the London Underground. Harlow is served by the NHS Princess Alexandra Hospital, situated on the edge of The High, which is the main Town Centre area of Harlow. This hospital has a 24 hour Accident & Emergency and Urgent Care Centre.There is also a private hospital called The Rivers, which is located on the outskirts of Harlow. It is run by Ramsay Healthcare alongside the Jacobs Centre which serves neurological patients.

Harlow contains six secondary schools, most of which now have specialist status, and one college.


St Mark's Catholic Academy and Sixth Form College – Business & EnterpriseSpecialistBurnt Mill AcademyPerforming ArtsCollegeStewards Academy – Science SpecialistPassmores Academy – Technology CollegeHarlow College ]St. Nicholas SchoolMark Hall Specialist Sports College – Sports College



Brays Grove School closed down in 2011 due to falling numbers of school aged pupils in the town. Passmores School and Technology College moved into a brand new £23 million school in 2011 on the site of the former Brays Grove School.In the 1980s a further two secondary schools were closed, Latton Bush (now a commercial centre and recreational centre) and Netteswell (now forms part of the Harlow College Campus) is a major further educational centre, covering GCSE's, A-Levels, and many vocational subjects including Hair & Beauty Therapy, Construction, Mechanics, ICT, and a new centre for Plumbing due to open. The college is currently under major regeneration and is due to open a new university centre in partnership with Anglia Ruskin University, covering mostly Foundation degrees in a variety of subjects relevant to local employers needs.

There are attractive scenic landscapes, river walks and views, plus the paddling pool (open in the summer season) Pets’ Corner, Harlow Showground, Spurriers Cafe and an adventure playground.



The Pets' Cornerhas a large selection of traditional farm animals, more exotic animals such as Reindeer, Llamas and Alpacas, whilst still keeping with the visitor’s favourites’ of rabbits, Guinea pigs and chickens and ducks. Pets Corner is free to enter but welcomes donations in the box on site. You can feed some of the animals for 20p a bag, available from feed vending machines.
Watch out for music events held at the Bandstand during the summer, and the fireworks show held at the beginning of November on Harlow Showground.

Harlow has it's own museum, the town has 13 ancient monuments including the roman temple site where discovers have been found there are different types of listed buildings in the area of Harlow Harlow Town Railway Station, built 1960 upon electrification of the Liverpool Street - Cambridge main line. It was added to the statutory list in 1996/7. Waiting shelters were restored to the platforms in 2005 and improved access for disabled passengers/staff is part of a newly upgrading scheme.

Orchard Croft, housing built in 1954 and given Grade II listing by English Heritage.

Kingsmoor House, Paringdon Rd, Harlow, a late C19 rebuild of a C18 house. Designated Grade II*

Cotswolds, Mulberry Green, Old Harlow is Grade II listed. It can be found on the north side of Old Harlow's most intact Georgian area, opposite the recently restored Mulberry Green House where the original west wing dates from c.1790 and the main facade dates from 1805.

Passmores House, the former Museum of Harlow, has been refurbished and extended for use as a rehabilitation centre by Vale House (Cowbridge, Hertford) who own the site of the caretaker's house but lease the main house from Harlow Council. It is Grade II listed.

Clock House, Puffers Green with its inscription "Work while it is light".

The Museum of Harlow, Muskham Road which incorporates the last cycle museum in Britain following the closure of that at Gainsborough Road, Lincoln.

Moot House, The Stow - originally the Vicarage of St.Mary-at-Latton Church - now the headquarters of Mark Hall & Netteswell Community Association.

Northbrooks House now an adult training centre (former community centre) east of Harberts Road, Toddbrook ward.

Toddbrook House now a veterinary surgery, west of Harberts Road

Netteswellbury Study Centre and Netteswellbury Farm, Waterhouse Moor

The majority of the churches in Harlow are listed, including St.Mary the Virgin, Our Lady of Fatima RC Church and St.Paul's Town Centre Church at College Gate.
Harlow playhouse offers lots of show's and concerts thoughout the year charges depend on each different shows. Harlow has a skate park, harlow lesiurezone that has a swimming pool and fitness facities, libery, has lots of pubs restaurants and shops the major shopping center is called Harvey center which has popular shops including primark and close by new shopping complexe called water gardens that bears move shops and restaurants.There are various places to stay in Harlow some really lovely hotels including park inn and the hoilday inn express.
























Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

moorhen pub moorhen pub
moorhen pub

which is a hungry horse food chain yummy food a brillrant affordable prices


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb