Travel - Belgium to UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex
December 5th 2010
Published: December 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was Eileen's birthday. I'm sure you all know here age so I won't repeat it here. No cup of tea in the morning unfortunately. Presents in the morning and then breakfast.

Drove from Bruges to Calais to catch the Ferry. You drive the car through two customs, French and the UK right behind. The UK customs had trouble with the passports for the kids so the officer asked me for my occupation. When I told him I worked in I.T. he asked whether I forged them - then he smiled. A relaxing Ferry ride. Eileen did a bit of shopping and we all exchanged our Euros for Pounds. No commission on the ferry but the exchange rate was poor.

Off the ferry and up to Dover castle. Drive on the left, drive on the left. Being in the UK felt like home and it was nice to talk easily in English and not trying to remember the limited foreign language we knew. Signed up for a family pass with English Heritage which will cover most of the castles and sites we plan to visit, or provide a good discount. Dover Castle was great and I wish we had more time. Did a tour of the underground tunnels used as a hospital. The guides were very informative and we all learnt a bit more about WW1 and WW2.

When we were finished, we walked past the old church and saw there was an event on - Christmas Carols. Had a cup of tea and mince pie, listened to a couple of songs but left early as it was dark and we still had to drive to Hastings. The drive on the M road was great, the A road was good, but the B road was dreadful. Very narrow, cars parked at the side taking up the the driving lane - not easy in a left hand drive car - so required 110% concentration. A bit hair-raising for Eileen in the passengers seat.

When we arrived in Hastings we found a Fish and Chips shop which was very nice. Then found our cottage and settled in. The cottage has 3 bedrooms giving us a bit of space.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.292s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb