Day at the Beach - Brighton


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » East Sussex » Brighton
August 5th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BrightonBrightonBrighton

A beautiful day - the sun was so nice
Well London had decided to throw on a day of sunshine for a change, so Ange and I thought we would catch the train down to Brighton on the south coast to check out the beach and just have a lazy Sunday.

The train was absolutely packed with people heading to the beach for the day.

I wasn't sure what to expect of Brighton - I knew it was popular, but I had also been told not too expect much. Most people said we would have a lot of trouble comparing it to the beaches we are just used to in Queensland.

Brighton itself (from the little we saw on the walk down to the seaside) wasn't very much at all - pretty dirty and old.

When we got down to the beach we were meet with a beautiful calm day. The sight was a bit of a shock for us - not necessarily in a bad way, just different.

There were so many people and the beach - well what can I say - it is all rock, not a grain of sand anywhere. I seriously wonder how people would go without cooking themselves on
Along the beachAlong the beachAlong the beach

Looking up towards the Brighton Pier
those things in the hot sun.

It was quite a sight - the area itself is rather dirty and old, but it looks like it would have had its hey day back in the 50's. I was surprised they have not done the whole area up - with the crowds they get, you would think you could capatilsie on it (but I guess days like the one we had aren't all too common).

Ange and I just spent the afternoon taking a walk and stopped in for a long lunch with a nice bottle of wine.

On our walk back along the beach front we stopped to watch all the people on the beach. So many people lapping up the sun and putting on baby oil to cook themselves. There was such a mix of people - many rather scary sights.

Few people were in the water itself - rather chilly still. And once again I think we just take it for granted that we are all good swimmers and comfortable in the ocean (well I am anyway) - but it was amazing just watching people frollick along the beach.

Ange and I couldn't help but notice how much fun everyone was having - this idea of a sunny day by the beach is such a novelty for them that they just have so much fun.

Anyway I will let the pics tell the rest of the story.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Nostalgic FeelNostalgic Feel
Nostalgic Feel

Like something out of the olden days - the carousel and amusement park on the pier
CrowdsCrowds
Crowds

An idea of the number of the people out on the beach - this stretches off in the other direction for ages too.


Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb