Tally Ho...


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Berkshire » Windsor
July 29th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

After a week of pretty dreary weather, we were a bit worried about our plan to head out to Windsor for the Cartier International Polo Day - but luck was on our side as the day was due to clear up after a fairly ordinary morning.

We even managed to get a bit of colour as the sun shone down upon us for the afternoon.

The trek out to the Polo was a bit of a mission - packed train trip out to Windsor and then the fun of fighting for the few cabs that were operating. But after a good hour of trying to track a cab down we were on our way the the Gaurds Polo Club. Turns out there were races on at Ascot as well (which is down the road).

While you could purchase tickets to the grandstands and to the afterparties, we decidied for our first trip we would go with the much cheaper option of taking a picinic and our own alcohol and trying our luck at finding a piece of grass to set up on.

We were told prior that there was ample room to set yourself up on -
Just arrivedJust arrivedJust arrived

Secured a good position right at the fence - bring on the day!
but this wasn't really the case - at least we had taken the advice to get out there early, so we did managed to secure what I think was one of the better locations.

So with ourselves setup, we took to what we know best - drinking and eating. Throw a few horses in the mix and the best people watching day I have come across so far - there was so much money and beautiful people walking around that place (plus the ever amusing English "well to do" men) - and we had a blast.

The day was to focus on the big match between England and Chile. Obviously being Australian we had no intention of cheering on England, so Chile it was. And we weren't dissappointed as Chile went one up to win the match.

So that sums things up I think - I will let the photos tell the story as Ange, Tammy, Craig, Kylie and I enjoyed the day.

Needless to say most of us had splitting headaches the next day - Monday was a bit painful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Always Eat Before You DrinkAlways Eat Before You Drink
Always Eat Before You Drink

Craig and Tammy making sure we know the finer points to surviving a full day of booze.
Ideas ManIdeas Man
Ideas Man

Well I knew I would forget something - I forgot to bring the glasses from home for our Pimms - so I did what any man would do - I took one for the team and went and bought two pints of beer, just so Ange would have a glass to drink out of.
SmileSmile
Smile

Craig and Kylie prepared for the day ahead
Oh the BritishOh the British
Oh the British

These guys brought us so much joy throughout the day - the butt of many a joke.
"Did one of the Cartier promo girls just look at me?""Did one of the Cartier promo girls just look at me?"
"Did one of the Cartier promo girls just look at me?"

Craig and I were like kids in a candy store
Only a very small section of the crowdOnly a very small section of the crowd
Only a very small section of the crowd

Glad the weather was clearing too
Oh dear!!!Oh dear!!!
Oh dear!!!

Anyone fancy some of my french stick? I think this is the pivitol point of the day - drinks were kicking in.
Good turnout for the dayGood turnout for the day
Good turnout for the day

After all the rain we had all week, we were glad the day cleared up.
Work it!!!Work it!!!
Work it!!!

Trying out for the Cartier promo guys job
Smile girlsSmile girls
Smile girls

Ange, Tammy, and Kylie enjoying the day
The Bentley's crewThe Bentley's crew
The Bentley's crew

Ange and Tammy strike a pose
Time for the big matchTime for the big match
Time for the big match

The crowds build for the main event - England vs Chile
LocalsLocals
Locals

Sometimes the focus on the match itself was tested
Here's troubleHere's trouble
Here's trouble

Something about that look on Craig's face makes me think he is contemplating no good.


Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0978s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb