Edinburgh sunny Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Durham County
May 2nd 2010
Published: May 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Snicker sneeSnicker sneeSnicker snee

Steve with the Headsman at Edinburgh Castle
Evening everyone,
Here we are in beautiful Durham - we’ve only just arrived so nothing to tell you about the place except the B&B is lovely and Steve has just locked himself out of the house while I was in the bath! We had 2 lovely nights in Edinburgh, although the B&B was a bit naff - bit old and manky and the bathroom & toilet need a good clean - but the beds were comfy and we were close to everything. It was absolutely FREEZING on the morning we went adventuring - I was starting to lament the fact that I had packed coats, not yesterday!! We rugged up and hit the high street catching the city tour bus for a lap of the old town. Once we had been around once we settled on the castle for our first stop. What an imposing city Edinburgh is - the castle looms over the city high up on it’s craggy summit while the city itself clings to its skirts below. Walked up and down the Royal Mile and finally managed to get Steve a cloth cap [had to find a XXL to fit his boof head!!!] and just as well we did, he needed his bonnet on to keep his head warm! Toured the castle, saw the Scottish Crown Jewels and met the Headsman who told us grizzly tales of all the executions that took place there. I was most impressed by the tiny little chapel dedicated to St. Margaret of Scottland where royalty used to worship and now the castle guardsmen can be married and have their children baptised - it only holds about 25 people. There is also a tiny dog cemetery where all the regimental doggy mascots are buried. Visited the statue of Greyfriar’s Bobby and his little grave at Greyfriar’s Kirk. We did a tour of Mary King’s Close - the underground warren of houses and streets left from when the Victorians built the Royal Exchange over the top of them. They literally just chopped the top off the houses and built over the top of them leaving the houses intact below. A very spooky place - said to be extremely haunted - although we didn’t experience any visitations, we had a photo taken in Close which has a couple of orbs floating around us - spooky bits or bad photo development? Had dinner both nights at a little Italian eating house just around the corner - the staff treated us like family and made a real fuss of us when we came back on the 2nd night - good Italian family food. Both absolutely stuffed after walking all over the city and slept like logs! Well, that is it for the moment - we’ll have a good look around Durham tomorrow before driving on to York for another 2 night stop. Love to you all…………
Blessings,
Dee & Steve xxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb