Durham Addendum


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Durham County » Durham
July 2nd 2022
Published: July 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Durham Cathedral ApproachDurham Cathedral ApproachDurham Cathedral Approach

William took us to a different drop off point than yesterday and directed us over a "footbridge", which was actually a stone bridge used by students. This pix was available at the beginning of the footbridge of the high elevation of the cathedral. BTW, this University is quite prestigious, entry difficult, with students from 120 countries.
Thought we had completed Durham until breakfast when fellow inn mates (actually their son had graduated from Durham University yesterday and is on the way to the continent for the next three months) informed us the cathedral may be open today. Really! This was confirmed between their taking an additional look at the website and our innkeeper. Super! William, the innkeeper had insisted on driving us to the cathedral area yesterday, we steadfastly declined another ride. This guy does not stop; yes he took us again. Furthermore, that constant complainer HP had lamented the fact the only cottage pie he has seen on a menu was at a Costco. Yeah, the sap ate it, but really? So, that morning our innkeeper informed us he had prepared a cottage pie and our presence was required after the visit inside the cathedral for tastings. Yes sir! The pie was as good as what Bird has made. Yes, really it was. Neither of us was hungry but none was left. No charge for all this work was made. Who does that? Nonetheless we hid pounds under a plate and escaped after lunch before he could object. Just wonderful folks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Length of CathedralLength of Cathedral
Length of Cathedral

The Cathedral only extends ten yards or so behind the photographer so capturing the length. The font in the center is from 1670.
Monk DoorsMonk Doors
Monk Doors

Monks entered through these very doors. They are from the 12th century. Yes, over a thousand years ago.
Saint Cuthbert"s ShrineSaint Cuthbert"s Shrine
Saint Cuthbert"s Shrine

This dude died in 687. Folks in England carried his remains around until 1104 when he was deposited here. The crazed Reformists were intent on destroying the Shrine but the story goes upon opening the tomb they discovered an undecomposed body. Okay? But at any rate elected not to destroy the tomb. We'll take history any way we can get it.
William and HPWilliam and HP
William and HP

After Bird and HP's lunch of cottage pie at the B&B. Guy doesn't take no well. He was awarded the Best B&B of North England. Makes sense.


13th July 2022

Eat your pie!!
Sounds like you had an extremely accommodating host. How long were you there? Those were beautiful doors.

Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb