Swanage - Burt origins


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Swanage
May 23rd 2007
Published: May 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Glasgow to Swanage

Some of the places we stopped at. The actual road taken are not included, as we didn't know where we were ourselves sometimes. Our GSP (Navman) got the final location right on most occasions.

Geoff On The Honeymoon BedGeoff On The Honeymoon BedGeoff On The Honeymoon Bed

The old fart recovers !!!!

Glasgow to Swanage
Geoff Burt
It’s sometime since we’ve taken the opportunity to make blog entries so consequently this is on the first full morning in Swanage on the coast of Dorset in England. This is where John William Cole Burt and his wife and kids lived before emigrating to Australia about 150 years ago. Get your atlas out!

JWCB was Geoff’s great great grandfather and was a stonemason and occasional farmer when he lived here. We’ve been here before but there is something about a place where you know many of your forebears lived and worked for so many years in the past. Hard to imagine exactly what the town looked like then but certainly unpaved roads were the norm.

A relative (if not direct) George Burt played a very significant role in the development of Swanage in the late 1800s. He got wealthy though stone work in London. One of his donations to tourism is a very large marble globe of the earth with not so accurate place names on it.

As we wait for the laundromat machine to do its thing, the sun is shining, its going to reach 22 degrees and the Poms have got their shirts off
Swanage from our Bed & Breakfast WindowSwanage from our Bed & Breakfast WindowSwanage from our Bed & Breakfast Window

Pat stuck her camera out the window and caught a small glimpse of the Swanage Bay.
and are sunning on the beach - the men without tops that is, unfortunately.

Three days here and then on to London.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb