The Jurassic Coast and Steam Trains


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Lulworth Cove
March 28th 2023
Published: March 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

I have written about the Jurassic Coast twice before on this blog so I shan't sing its' praises any further on this post. Suffice it to say that three trips in two years is indicative of just how much I like this place; amazingly none of those visits have been during the height of British Summertime (whatever that means) so as to enjoy the clear waters and amazing hikes. This trip albeit short included the easy hike from Lulworth Cove to Durdle Door, a day avoiding the rain, paddling feet in the ice cold water at Swanage beach and a day travelling on the steam trains between Swanage and Frome. This latter part was something of a highlight. Given that I spend my life on commuter trains I really hadn't expected to be as enamoured by this experience as I was. There is something profoundly nostalgic and soothing and romantic about travelling on a steam train, hearing the whistle, watching the billowing clouds of steam whisper past the windows temporarily obfuscating the view of the rolling hills. No music, no loud announcements, no screeching doors, no air conditioning, no adverts plastered all over everything. The teems of tourists were largely elderly, the last generation who will remember travelling via steam train....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb