Birthday In A Bubble


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Dorchester
April 14th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Badger Watching! 42 secs
2: Feeding Time! 35 secs
ZorbingZorbingZorbing

Strapped in and ready to go!

Back to the French Alps & Birthday Weekend in Eype


14th-27th April, 2008



La Tania



I had an awesome week with Bern and Elizabeth back in the French Alps. They had gone back to work a second season and it was the last week of the season. It absolutely dumped down with snow on the Monday when I was travelling there which made skiing in the powder the next day fantastic. I couldn't believe how much snow there was for the end of the season. This time last year there was lots of green and wildflowers starting to bloom.

We skiied across to Val Thorens one day and had a brilliant time on Europes longest toboggan run which is 6km in length. Lots of laughing and spectacular crashes on the way down.

Housegirlfriend



When I arrived back in London from France I officially became a 'housegirlfriend' as opposed to a housewife as I cooked, cleaned, shopped, went for runs, did lunch and found some time in there to apply for jobs!

Eype



Rupesh organised an amazing weekend for my birthday that incorporated some of my favourite things; camping, walking, good food, wildlife spotting and a bit of adventure! We camped at Downhouse Farm in Higher Eype, Bridport which is in Dorset. Rupesh got a rude shock when we arrived at the farm and he discovered that there was no shower. That defintiely wasn't part of his planning! The campsite was a small paddock in front of a barn and across the road from the farmhouse. The farmhouse also had their own tea garden with lots of good food. The farm was within walking distance of the Jurassic coastline so we ventured down to the beach on Saturday morning.

On Saturday afternoon we went Zorbing just out of Dorchester. Zorbing is quite an interesting concept; basically you are strapped inside a big inflatable ball and then get rolled down a hill! There are some variations in that you can go in the ball on your own and not be strapped in and the ball is filled with water and washing up liquid. As the ball is sent rolling down the hill the person inside attempts to remain standing for as long as possible. As you can imagine this doesn't last long and at the bottom when they get out they are very wet and soapy! Rupesh and I were strapped in to the same ball but with no water. It certainly wasn't as smooth a ride as we'd imagined! I couldn't stop laughing because every time Rupesh ended up on his head he screamed just like a girl!!

After Zorbing it was safe to have a cream tea back at the farm knowing that it wasn't going to come back up again. That evening we went badger watching at Old Henley Farm in Dorchester. We watched the badgers quietly from a wooden hyde as they came out of their sets and down the runs through the bushes to feed. It was incredible to watch them especially not having seen a badger before. The evening only got better because when we returned to the farm Rupesh had organised a birthday cake - a very moist apple cake cooked that day in the farmhouse.

On the drive back to London on Sunday we stopped in at Lyme Regis, a little seaside town between Exeter and Eype on the south coast. After lunch with Rupesh's friend John we headed back to London via Southampton and visited Kylie, Steve and Sky. Sky had
La Tania, FranceLa Tania, FranceLa Tania, France

Bucketing down snow! View from Bern and Elizabeth's balcony.
just turned one and was starting to walk. She was a little wobbly on her feet but still managing to get around quite quickly!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Downhouse FarmhouseDownhouse Farmhouse
Downhouse Farmhouse

Higer Eype, Dorset
Crepes are ready!Crepes are ready!
Crepes are ready!

Downhouse Farm
Camping at Downhouse Farm Camping at Downhouse Farm
Camping at Downhouse Farm

Higher Eype, Dorset
Downhouse FarmDownhouse Farm
Downhouse Farm

Higher Eype, Dorset
Jurassic CoastlineJurassic Coastline
Jurassic Coastline

The beach (albeit pebbles!) was only 15 minutes walk from the farm.
Trying out my new creme brulee set.Trying out my new creme brulee set.
Trying out my new creme brulee set.

There was a fight over who would get to use the blow torch first!


Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb