The Jurassic Coast, A town called Beer & Cream Tea


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Dorset » Corfe Castle
July 28th 2009
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.6385, -2.05707

We woke up in The Duke for the last time. Had breakfast packed up our stuff and hit the road. We were off to see some of the amazing Jurassic Coast. Our first stop was Ladrum Bay. The cliffs here are an orange color and at Ladrum Bay there are some great stacks near the shore. After leaving Ladrum Bay we headed to Beer. This small and charming town is right on the coast. We found a Pub with great beer garden. We had a pint of ale and some lunch in the sunshine then walked down to see the beach.
After lunch we drove through the very busy and crowded town of Lyme Regis to Charmouth. This is supposed to have some great fossil hunting. The beach was packed with tourists and dogs were not allowed on the beach. So after 30 minutes of dealing with the the children of the local tourist we could not get out of here fast enough.
We left the Jurassic coast and headed to the town of Corfe Castle where Kim had booked us a room at the dog friendly Bankes Arms Hotel. This is great little town with the ruins of a castle in the center of town. The Bankes Armes Hotel is located in the center of town and was very easy to find. We went to check in and we were welcomed by the not so friendly staff. The exterior of the hotel looks great. The interior on the other hand...Not so much. It was tired, worn and in need of being redone. The room was small and run down. The bed was very hard with the springs poking up through the mattress. A good night sleep was not had here. We did find a pub in town, The Fox Inn, that had an amazing beer garden that was huge and loaded with incredible flowers. From our table in the beer garden we could even see the top of the castle. We had dinner and a couple of pints in this lovely garden before we went back to the hotel for the night. The next morning we woke up, had a breakfast at the hotel and then walked around town. We wanted to check out the castle but my arthritis was very bad in my knees making walking painful. We decided to skip the castle but we did not want to leave with out having a Cream Tea which is famous to this area. We went to a great tea garden that overlooked the Castle and had our cream tea. Cream tea is associated with the south west of England and is made up of tea served with milk, scones, clotted cream and strawberry jam. Very tasty and a real treat to end our great trip.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Beer garden of the Fox InnBeer garden of the Fox Inn
Beer garden of the Fox Inn

We could see the top of the castle from our seat in the beer garden


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb