Stonehenge - Really just a bunch of big rocks


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon
August 24th 2006
Published: August 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

At StonehengeAt StonehengeAt Stonehenge

Yes we stopped at Stonehenge to look at the pretty rocks, its a must see tourist trap but for those not wanting to pay the 6 pounds to get in, the view from the road is just fine.
Before I start this new blog, I would to submit a new mathematical formula into any new travel planning exercise. This is a measure of just how much trouble you (the male) are going to be in when traveling with your partner (the female). However this does come with warning label, if you cherish your health, you can never make mention of this. It’s a rather simple formula actually and goes a little something like this; there is an exponential relationship between the pain and discomfort you are going to experience as the total weight of your partners luggage moves towards half of their partner weight. If her luggage exceeds half of her weight, cancel your trip; the pain will be too great.

We woke up rather late on Sunday morning at 10am, with a slight hangover I may add. Not the best preparation as we embark on the travel portion of our journey through the England and Scotland. Our travels will take us down the south coast of England to a town called Penzance (and Land’s End), on to the Lake District and then our last stop in Edinburgh. All of which I am thoroughly looking forward too.
Morning Sunrise from the Red Lion InnMorning Sunrise from the Red Lion InnMorning Sunrise from the Red Lion Inn

This photo was taken at 6am, what I was doing up at that moment, I have no idea. But the view over the river Dart was incredible.

After lugging over 100 lbs back through the underground to Gatwick Airport, which involved a rather large portion of cursing, we arrived at the Hertz rental car company. We were very fortunate to get a great rental rate through Ryan Air (www.ryanair.com) with Hertz at only 54 pounds a week for an economy car. The car turned out to be a Fiat Punto and ample for 2 people and 100+ lbs of luggage.

And with that turn of events we are off to our first port of call, Dittisham (near Dartmouth). You will not find it on any maps, it probably only has a population total of a couple of hundred people and that is in summer time. Well getting there proved an exercise in navigation and patience. If anyone has traveled the back road of England would know and appreciate, the roads are hardly wide enough for one car, let alone two, with hedges 8 foot high on either side … it all makes for very adventurous driving experience.

Well, not to much I can say about Dittisham, other than it’s an incredible cute little town located on the River Dart. We stayed at a place called
View of the River DartView of the River DartView of the River Dart

A similar picture that was taken later in the morning from our window at the Red Lion. Dittisham is a great little town,
the Red Lion Inn, which I was not very happy with considering the amount of money we had to pay. But the views from the room were incredible. But if you do ever visit, head down to the little harbor area and a very lively little pub called the Boats Inn (I believe, you cannot miss it, it’s the only one 😊. This area is a much see, incredibly quaint and you are able to sit outside on watch the sun go down while drinking a few pints … heaven.

Oh, yes we did get a chance to pass Stonehenge on your way out here, its the second time that I have been. And in all honesty, they are just a bunch of big rocks thrown up in a circle, a pretty decent engineering feat but after listening it the commentator carry on for 30 min about no one knowing for what purpose they were put up for, I lost all interest. Does that make me a bad tourist?

Cheers from Dittisham, England.


Advertisement



24th August 2006

Brynn, Looks like you are having an incredible time. The pictures are great. I am really jealous that you are going on such an awesome trip. Joseph
24th August 2006

Stonehenge looks unbelievable
Wow, your pictures of Stonehenge are unbelievable. Funny equation about partner and luggage too. Is there a disclaimer on weight gain, I wonder? A girl of 200 pounds could still tote some hefty luggage and be in the clear ;o) Your trip is going wonderfully! Not many people get the chance to visit so many wonderful places in their life. Enjoy every minute of it and feel blessed.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb