Gray and rain but not a surprise


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Plymouth
July 26th 2009
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

PlymouthPlymouthPlymouth

This is a real anchor off a British Naval ship.
Geo: 50.3704, -4.14265

We awoke to gray skies and rain but this is England so this comes as no surprise. I am not complaining...It still beats snow. We had a big breakfast then hopped in the car to go see the city of Plymouth. It was much larger then we had thought it would be. We parked the car then walked around the main shopping area looking for the Tourist Information office. We found out that it is located near the sea front so off we went. On the way to the sea front we walked by this huge anchor from a military ship that was a must for a photo. When we got to the seafront and the Plymouth light house there was a bus rally going on. All kinds of buses. New, old, single decker and double. We walked on to the harbor area and found the tourist information office. We continued investigating the old harbor area trying to imagine the pilgrims boarding the Mayflower and setting sail for the new world from here.
After leaving Plymouth we headed off to Launceston to see the Launceston Castle. This is a 13th century castle built by Richard, Earl of Cornwall. On our way home we stopped at a pasty shop and got some Cornish pasties for a scrumptious dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Old Saab full of trashOld Saab full of trash
Old Saab full of trash

OK...you try not to take a picture of this...look at all the shit packed in this car.


6th August 2009

Yes it is.
6th August 2009

From Wikipedia: The castle is a Norman motte and bailey earthwork castle raised by Robert, Count of Mortain, half-brother of William the Conqueror shortly after the Norman conquest, possibly as early as 1067. It became the administrative h
eadquarters for the great Earls of Cornwall where they could control the vast estates that they owned throughout the area. The castle remained with little development, apart from an inner keep added in the 12th century. During the 13th century, Richard, Earl of Cornwall, a younger brother of Henry III began to rebuild the castle in stone.<br><br>The tower was constructed from a darker stone than the rest of the castle, with two rooms. A new great hall was constructed within the confines of the 12th century bailey, which remained in use until the early 1600s as an Assize Hall. In the late 13th century, the administrative centre for Cornwall was moved from Launceston to Lostwithiel.
30th May 2010

WHAT'S IN THERE THEN?

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb