Portsmouth


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Plymouth
December 30th 2009
Published: January 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Wednesday 30.12.2009 Day 76
Portsmouth
We walked to King Arthur castle it a fantastic place on the side of a cliff and Merlins Cave is there as well.
We then drove to Stonehenge we could not believe how many people where there we saw more than 10 busses come and go while we were there. It cost £6.60 per person to go in and you cannot walk inside the stones there is a path around then that you have to stay on a long way from the stones and with hundreds of other people. The monument evolved between 3,000 BC and 1,600 BC and is aligned with the rising and setting of the sun at the solstices. It is a world Heritage site but the toilets and museum on the site are temporary buildings. It is run by the English heritage and all though it gets more visitors than any other their sites they do not seem to look after it very well. We decided not to go in but to look at it and take photos from outside the fence. There is a few burial mound in the area that we had a look at it. There is also the woodhenge close by that we also had a look at. We then went on to Avebury Avenues which is a much larger stone circle 14 times the size of Stonehenge and predates it by 500 years. It and it surrounding stones covers an area of 28 acres with a circumference of 1 ½ km. There is a town in the middle of the circle. It is free to go and see and is amazing to be there. We tried to stay in the circle but the only place in it was charging £130 a night to stay we decided that was too expensive so we drove on to Portsmouth where we got court up in football traffic but eventually fond a nice pub to stay in. They did great dinners and we watched the game for a little bit before going off to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb