Broken in Devon


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Paignton
February 13th 2011
Published: February 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What do you get when you have beautiful weather, gorgeous countryside, a 11 mile hike and a mountain of booze shared with some of my favourite hiking people? A Sunday spent quietly in the pub recovering after an excellent weekend of hiking, eating, drinking, dancing, singing and generally enjoying one of the best valentine weekend parties I've ever been to! Do not underestimate how much I love these guys!

We stayed at YHA River Dart, amazing building unfortunately being sold off as a private residence, but we managed to sneak in and give it one hell of a going away party. Friday night was drive down, set up and start to socialise with the rest of the hiking group. Blessedly there was a hefty contingent of old friends on this trip, one of whom made the mistake of having a birthday on the Friday night. Thaik was very keen on keeping it quiet but with a cake and card we had a few other ideas. Lets face it who doesn't like a fuss being made over them on their birthday and it was going to be celebrated one way or the other with or without his involvement!

Saturday we cooked brekkie which was a right laugh and freed us up to enjoy the rest of the weekend having done our bit 😉 3 hike choices, took the long one with fields and rolling undulations (well rolling may not be quite the right word). Across the estuary on a dinky little ferry (ring the bell to get across) then up and down and up and down and up muddy fields and down muddy fields - I had the beloved back marker position - really quite rubbish at it as I managed to keep the stragglers in sight, but kept losing the rest of the group (found them eventually).

At the end of the hike was a beloved post hike Crabbies (alcoholic ginger beer) before a rush back for a cold shower and swapping the muddy hiking boots for an evening dress and heels. The party theme was evening dress/make an effort and everyone did. You get so used to seeing everyone looking outdoorsy covered with mud so it's nice to see how they scrub up grrrrrrr. I could give you all the details, but lets just say it started with Champagne, ended with Champagne and singing at 4am (for me) and had plenty of rum in the middle.

Sunday was off to Brixham where I almost hiked ... before taking the better offer of lunch at the pub instead (honest I was kidnapped!). Top weekend.


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CakeCake
Cake

Geez guys wait until the birthday boy gets some
The gangThe gang
The gang

Shan, Del, Thaik


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb