Devon and Cornwall


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Paignton
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrived to stay halfway between Paignton and Brixham on the Waterside caravan park staying at Freda's caravan. Had a great week, although the weather wasn't up to scratch even though its summer. However, we made the most of it by visiting places where I had visited as a child, including Teignmouth, Torquay, Paignton, Brixham to name but a few. The seafront at Teignmouth has been improved for children with a completed large park with outdoor type fountains which the children run through, so the tip here is to take a change of clothes and a towel for them afterwards like we did.
We took young Joshua to the rocks at Churston Cove near Brixham to try our hand at fishing where I used to fish as a teeneager. Just like many years ago, we caught some Wrasse here, but unfortunately no Mackerel which would have done nicely for tea. Later on, we decided to take a Makerel trip on a two hour trip where we only caught the one Mackerel for us both. Anyway, Joshua took great delight and showed real interest on gutting the fish before we cooked it on the barbeque back at Freda's. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't spared much as Joshy scoffed the lot much to our surprise.
We also took the steam train from Paignton to Dartmouth one day and had fish and chips in a nice cafe in Dartmouth, albeit expensive compared with the other Devonshire towns. I ordered a jumbo cod and chips, except when it came they mustn't have had any as they served me with two fish with chips instead. Needless to say I finished the lot.
Whilst in Devon we took a trip up to Trago Mills near Newton Abbot where a small theme park is on-site for young children and quite reasonably priced. Makes it a good day out for parents to do some shopping and children as a treat afterwards. Beware if you eat here at one of the many food outlets as our lunch was interrupted by hungry wasps....grrrrrrr.

After five days at Freda's caravan at Waterside, we headed off for two days to stay with friends near Penzance in Cornwall, a further 115 miles away from home, but worth the trip. Charles showed us round the area whilst Jinty was cooking tea, an absolutely lovely meal by the way. We got snarled up and gridlocked whilst driving through Mousehole during teatime, but we were soon on our way again thanks to the local knowledge from Charles. This was our first time staying with them in their lovely home in Newlyn and we enjoyed every minute of it. On our second night we all went out for an evening meal at The Mexico Inn just outside Penzance and can highly recommend the home made Lasagne for anyone visiting here. We had spent the day earlier in Lands End and also at Sennen Cove where we were rudely spoken to by the owners of 'Breakers' cafe at Sennen about us parking near her premises. We were quite upset by this that we went to the Police to complain about her harrassing us. So anyone visting Sennen, be aware of this business owner.
All in all though, it was a great holiday and all three of us have vowed to visit again soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb