growing some roots


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Devon » Newton Abbot
August 29th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello friends.

When last we spoke, I was in the lovely town of Salzburg. Funny place, if you were a local you would go crazy, you can't go 10 minutes without some puffed up tourist breaking into song. Some better than others. Took a couple days off, so to speak. Enjoyed a nice dinner and glass of wine by myself. I think the waiting staff was confused, or thought I had been stood up, because it took them an hour and a half to ask for my order. Austrian food = gives greek food a run for its money. Not a long run, mind you fish, but it is damn good. Lots of gravy, dumplings, caramelized onions, and good icecream.

Also, sorry to everyone else, but note to fish: this hostel was AMAZING. will send you multiple pictures detailing the pristine bathrooms, gorgeous relaxing area, actual reception desk, outside dining area, beds with little bedside lights and built in shelves, free secure lockers, shiny clean floors, and a hair dryer in the bathroom!!! just 15 euros. amazing.

Met a new friend in my room (still can't get over rooming with boys, gross) and spent the day exploring a nearby lake area and admiring the gorgeous mountains. Tried the local chocolate that mozart seemed to have something to do with because his face is on every wrapper. Chocolate, then marzipan, then pistachio? very strange but the tourists love it.

Stopped in germany to visit Elisabeth, who fish and I met on our way to greece, and explore her little town jena.

Moved on to my last stop in continental europa - visited an old work friend of good old daddy's, Ben, and his lovely wife, for a far too brief catch up on my entire life and their past 17 years. When people say, 'gosh how you've grown' it is not an understatement. i have a few inches on four year old av. Lovely people.

Then back to england I ferried. fish just remembered another amazing thing about the hostel in salzburg - a built in trade your boooks here library. Traded in Run and angels and demons and snagged 3 books, including.... twilight!! haha the book we searched europe for for you. It is overrated is all I will say.

Anyway a few days with the lovely gosses and a few final med school applications, just waiting now. Then a weekend of family and BABIES. Gran set off to stay over at the gosses on thursday night, told us she would arrive in the late afternoon and then proceeded to scare the pants off jane and I by not arriving until well past 10pm, after getting stuck in (bloody) traffic on the (bloody) M25 behind a (bloody stupid) lorry. Jane and I took comfort in wine and chocolate and candles. The candles were not for romance, however, as we enjoyed a power cut beginning at 3pm that left us sitting in the dark eating spaghetti and wondering which ditch granny's car was upside down in somewhere between teignmouth and epsom.

Anyway waved goodbye and off to see my dear old cuz brendon, who still thinks I am 14. Also has a lovely new baby boy Leuan (spelling?) and kiddy Juan (pronounced soft J - ah- n) (8 years old) who likes to sword fight. We started with ten lives each and by the end of ten minutes he was begging for his life after my sword turned unexpectedly into a light saber and cut him into pieces. Had a lovely evening with brendon
mike at rock stockmike at rock stockmike at rock stock

and julienne!
and joanne and the kiddies and left too quickly to visit 'peter and the babies'. Note - I had never heard of peter. Relatives are simply sprouting out of the street over here. Saw the little twinnies (dylan and zachary, couple weeks old?) and met Peter and Michelle. Peter is my mummy's cousin? Very nice anyway, they gave us tarts and tea and Zachary fell asleep when I was holding him, proving once again that i am gods gift to babies.

Had a lovely 6 hour drive home with gran, who knew that the giant SLOW signs on the road actually mean SPEED UP and an occasional knock as our wing mirror hits a parked car is nothing to worry about and that most people on the road are in fact (bloody) fools. Arrived at Granny's flat, cooked a delicious dinner, and will soon be settling down for the night.

I am stationary for the time being. I may update this blog from time to time if something interesting comes to pass, but if i don't, know that I am safely in england and at some point will be safely back in the states.

Love to all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

sam and emmasam and emma
sam and emma

don't they look sweet...
more babiesmore babies
more babies

gran and dylan, me and zachary, and peter
salzburgsalzburg
salzburg

marc and i by a lake
look closelylook closely
look closely

at the street name
salzburgsalzburg
salzburg

gorgeous garden thing
hollandholland
holland

holding up my family picture
benben
ben

I'm drinking in the kitchen with bob's daughter!
the jonesthe jones
the jones

juan, joanne, brendon, and munchkin
awwaww
aww

love them
my cuzmy cuz
my cuz

brendon


29th August 2009

Avalon, Some great scenery and it looks like you have been having fun discovering your family across the ocean. Classes begin monday and it is different that you will not be there. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Dr. B
30th August 2009

roots
So happy to see the update on the blog and all the pictures. If your gran spoils you like mine did me you'll never want to come home again. As you probably know, Laura finally has the internet in her apartment. Take care, Love Laura's Mommy
31st August 2009

when r u coming home....i miss my gingy!
16th September 2009

Where is Teignmouth?
Time to detail the joys of high living in Teignmouth!!
17th September 2009

the walrus said
The time has come for a new instalment...a further chapter...an enlightening...

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb